Another Sabalo.....

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Another Sabalo.....

Post by Bemm 52 »

craiggamesh wrote:
Have a think about my scupper idea I'm going to use them for a Hobie tYpe slot in cart i recon they will be strong enough will post pics when I have it sussed
I may do one like that in the seat. I intend to rig up my transducer in one of the front scuppers. The hole on the bottom will be cut to that shape, but slightly larger so the water can still drain around it.
My boat is very dry and I don't have seat scuppers.............however I did put them in Wadefish but left them blind so I can drill thru seat floor later to open them if neccesary
Just noticed your reccessed foot braces 8) My transducer shoots thru the hull thru a thickened epoxy window in the bottom........ its glued down with silicone and accessed thru front hatch if anything was to go wrong
Cheers Paul
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

I thought about gluing it, but I have 4 different small boats and want to be able to move it from boat to boat. I'm too cheap to buy another transducer. Actually, for the price of a new transducer, I can almost by another, more kayak appropriate, fish finder. The one I have was purchased for a power boat and has a lot of features. It can operate at speeds up to 70 mph and shoots to 800 feet. All the things you need on a kayak. :lol: By the way Matt, is the sabalo a displacement hull or planing.:lol:

Also, the missus would shoot me if I bought another since I barely get out to use the one I have.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Glassed the inside today using the 6 oz I had on hand. What a pain in the arse. Well, I should be on the down hill stretch now. Hopefully I can get the frames in tomorrow.
Regards,

Craig
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

epoxy was dry enough to weigh the hull. It went from 20 lbs two days ago to 27 lbs today. I was a little sloppy with the resin and used a little too much as the 6 oz cloth was very thirsty for it.

I had some left over so I did a stern end pour. This was probably 1/4 of a pound gained.
Regards,

Craig
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Just noticed your reccessed foot braces
Paul,

I liked the way you did yours so much I had to steal it. With the extra foot space, I can run a console out from the front of the cockpit about 4 1/2 - 5 inches wide (also stolen from you and a few other people.) At this width, and with a hinged top, I can place my rods inside pointing towards the bow. They are all two piece rods with the longest being 8 1/2 feet so, broken down, they should fit. This way they will be more secure for surf launches and landings.

I also finished gluing in the tank well tonight. Hopefully soon there will be more fish fillets and less epoxy fillets. Did you glass the upright frames to the hull, or just saturate with epoxy.
Regards,

Craig
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

craiggamesh wrote: Did you glass the upright frames to the hull, or just saturate with epoxy.

Craig I just fillited them in with thickened epoxy
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Bemm 52 wrote:
craiggamesh wrote: Did you glass the upright frames to the hull, or just saturate with epoxy.

Craig I just fillited them in with thickened epoxy
Thanks. Thats what i am going to do as well.
Regards,

Craig
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

craiggamesh wrote: By the way Matt, is the sabalo a displacement hull or planing.:lol:
BUMP :D :D
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Bemm 52 wrote:
craiggamesh wrote: By the way Matt, is the sabalo a displacement hull or planing.:lol:
BUMP :D :D

If you're a fan of 70s era US Air Force fighter jets, you'd know the old saying that the F4 Phantom was living proof that if you put enough thrust behind a brick, it'll fly. :mrgreen:
-Matt. Designer.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

True. And that one had plenty of it. I probably only need one engine. I've been able to keep the weight down. :D
Regards,

Craig