Another Sabalo.....

Builder show and discuss their progress.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Re: Another Sabalo.....

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

Now Matt,the F4 wasn't that bad :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

It was a great plane. And we got our moneys worth with its long service life. Oops. I think I hijacked my own thread.

Well, i have at least saturated the cockpit frames but not done much else in the last week an a half.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

Well, I was able to get the cockpit frame sealed last week and glued in on Saturday. I chose to permanently install the temporary frames. I have discovered that if I cut a hatch into the front of the cockpit, or install a center console like Paul (Bemm) did on his, I can fit my 8 1/2 foot salmon rods inside the front (2 piece rods broken down of course). This will make it much safer for the surf with the more expensive salt water gear.

If you notice there are four holes it the temp frame besides the large hole in the center. I will line these holes with a foam or rubber cushion. Then when the rods are stuck through the large hole, the butts can be backed into these holes acting as a rod rack.

I will probably place four small sections of pipe insulation up in the bow to protect the rod tips.
Regards,

Craig
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Stitched the final side panels on the weekend of 6/20.

Since then I have taped the inside of that joint but did not take pictures. Also did some other things that aren't really noticeable visibly, such as figure out the foot brace mounting and how I will attach the foot braces to the Hobie Twist and Stow Rudder Assembly I got from Austin Canoe and Kayak. It was only $52. The pulleys are already attached and all I would have to do is attach the cables and mount it. I figured I could make one, buy the pulleys and spend another day on the boat, or just cough up $52. It seemed worth it, especially with free shipping. The cables will be stainless steel down rigger cable I got on clearance. They will run through 1/4 inch drip tubing as a guide from the front to the back.

I am still working on the way to attach the rudder. Due to its unique design of folding flat against the hull when raised, it needs a little more clearance at the rear, due to the Sabalo having a transom rather than coming to a point like the Wadefish.

Rudder folded up onto rear deck

The easiest thing would be to buy a small piece of aluminum bar at Home Depot, but I thought If I bent it 90 degrees it may break. I guess I will mull that one over for awhile.
Regards,

Craig
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

I think a stainless rod would better and you could heat it on one end and flaten out to drill for bolt holes just a :idea:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Craig, the Sabalo's looking really good mate 8) , but you know I still can't get over that stripped pirogue. The appearance of that one is absolutely stunning - makes me want to try building one every time I look at it.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Lookin good............. the customisation stage is a buzz isnt it 8) 8)

Your right about rod storage I did'nt give it enough thought.......... theres a lot of room in that bow area. :evil:

HINT..........if you are going to instal flush tube type holders in deck behind seat for rods net etc......make them verticle ones the 2 outer ones on my boat are a pain..........they are easy to access but they are offset and the rods splay out and catch on stuff.........I'm gonna replace them with straight up and down type.

your gonna love this boat.......... not much doing here..... mid winter and bloody more make a living work to do than i can poke a stick at :cry: :cry:

Off in the dark.......... home in the dark......... not much time for poxyin
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

OnkaBob wrote:Craig, the Sabalo's looking really good mate 8) , but you know I still can't get over that stripped pirogue. The appearance of that one is absolutely stunning - makes me want to try building one every time I look at it.
Missed this one as I was posting..................Dream stripped Sabalo........maybe after Wadefish for SWMBO
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

Craig,
Bob is right. That is a little beauty hanging from your celing. If that build is on here I would love to see some pics.
Bob
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Craig, the Sabalo's looking really good mate , but you know I still can't get over that stripped pirogue. The appearance of that one is absolutely stunning - makes me want to try building one every time I look at it.
Craig,
Bob is right. That is a little beauty hanging from your celing. If that build is on here I would love to see some pics.
Bob

Thanks for the compliments. This is the build site viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2428
The plans from Matt were $12 and it was the easiest strip built boat I have built. The price of the wood was next to nothing. Just a few cedar 2X4s and some cheap pine for the contrasting light color. I think the procedure would easily work on any of the Pirogues. If I do it again, it will be on a TV 15-29.
Your right about rod storage I did'nt give it enough thought.......... theres a lot of room in that bow area.
The surf can be rough here so I wanted a place to secure them. I was going to build a console like you did, because I thought the spinning reels would not go through a 6" deck plate. However, with some testing, I determined that the hole is big enough I can still get one of my larger saltwater spinning reels through if I loosen and fold the crank handle in. I would like to get this thing wet by the end of summer. If I decide I need a console, I can add it later.

I found that with the 8 " deck plate in the cockpit, I can fit my shimano and plano plastic tackle trays under the cockpit.
HINT..........if you are going to instal flush tube type holders in deck behind seat for rods net etc......make them verticle ones the 2 outer ones on my boat are a pain..........they are easy to access but they are offset and the rods splay out and catch on stuff.........I'm gonna replace them with straight up and down type.
I saw some straight up and down types at Cabela's, 2 for $9.99.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I have those angled rod holders and I hopped in the cockpit and grabbed a paddle. I realized that if I would have mounted the rod holders like I had planned, I would be hitting them with my elbows while paddling. I also decided to buy a Ram mount rod holder like you have. I have several Fish-On rod holders and Scotties, but I tried them today and I just couldn't get them to fit right. I only need one since we are only allowed one line per person at a time.
Regards,

Craig