cargo trailer to camper conversion

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

cargo trailer to camper conversion

Post by Darrells »

First off, Matt if this is too far off topic feel free to move/delete it.
I have been wanting to build a trailer like Ron's for a while now. Randy posted his cargo trailer that he converted for camping and I thought Hey I have one of those that I don't use for work anymore,so here it goes. It is a 2007 Pace American 12x6 with double back doors. It had kinda become a portable storage building so it took me awhile to clean it out and remove the shelves that I built for material while I used it for work. First I built a cabinet in the front corner for storage and such.

Then I built a bench/ battery and A/C power compartment. Which will house 2 deep cycle marine batteries, a inverter, fuse block for D/C power, small panel for A/C power and a power cord.

My wife is going to sew a cushion for the bench and I am going to fabricate some sort of removable table for when the weather is bad. The bed will be across the back of the trailer with storage underneath. A/C will be in the nose beside the cabinet. I really don't have a set idea for this, so we will see what all gets added as it goes along. Now I gotta build a rack for my truck to haul my boats. :roll:
Darrell Sykora
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: cargo trailer to camper conversion

Post by jem »

Great stuff!

Maybe I'll add a general "do it yourself" section. I have an outdoor patio chair design that I'm helping a friend with. Might sell full scale patterns for the parts along with assembly instructions.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Good on ya Darrel. bloody good job mate.

Matt, I think a general "do it yourself" section would be a great idea.

many of your boat buildrs like to dabble and make other stuff beside boats. We could perhaps share some ideas on what works for us.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Kayak Jack
Design Reviewer

Post by Kayak Jack »

jem wrote:Great stuff!

Maybe I'll add a general "do it yourself" section. ..
That is a good idea, Matt. Some of our guys are very talented at making many things.
Kayak Jack
Doing what you like is FREEDOM
Liking what you do is HAPPINESS
I spent most of my money on whiskey and women - and I'm afraid I just wasted the rest.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

Might want to concider putting A/C on side or rear,but if have to put up front you may want to put some type of bug screen on condenser coils so they don't get bent up by bugs and rocks on highway :idea:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

I've got a buddy in the sheet metal buisness who built me a cover to slip over the unit while traveling. I hope to get some more done this weekend.
Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Got alittle more done this evening. I glued 3/4 foam to the ceiling for insulation.

Then I screwed 1/8 masonite to the ceiling braces. I am going to cut the hole in the nose tomorrow night for the A/c unit. I stopped today and bought some 2" thick foam to use as a mattress once the bed frame is built.

All of my wiring will run down each side between the walls and the ceiling. Once everything is wired I will put a piece of trim down each side to tie the ceiling and walls together.
Darrell Sykora
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Great idea. I have been wanting to do something similar for quite a while. I was going to build a teardrop like this
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear47.htm (found a link to it here http://www.mikenchell.com/halloffame.html ) but we had a third child.
A cargo trailer conversion would work, but I have little experience working with metal.

I can't wait to see how it turns out.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

If you can find a used cargo trailer reasonably priced go for it. Other than cutting a hole for the A/C unit there is no metal work.
Darrell Sykora
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

My wife is a little claustrophobic so windows would be a must. :roll:
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.