Dickie's Laker in the making

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Dickie
Type of boat I like: Kayaks

Re: Dickie's Laker in the making

Post by Dickie »

Onka, I am planning on glassing the hull with a real pretty natural varnish. Thank you for the words of encouragement and I will be super carefule of the sanding, Thank you
~~ Dickie ~~
"The BEST tool in the World is the Human mind"
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Everything laid out nice and purty. Moisture is making them bow out....

Peanut butter like consistency??? :)

Pumping iron......

A nice smooth transitional seam....
~~ Dickie ~~
LEE SCHNEIDERMANN
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN »

Nice looking build there Dickie. I'm going to tape painter's tape close to the seams of my 18' Freedom build to reduce the amount of "dookie schmutz" I have to sand back off on the exterior seams. It was pretty easy losing the top layer of laminate on my first build while sanding.
The $ and time spent taping would have added considerably to the look of the finished product. (ie; it would have "tidied" things up a bit) :oops:

Lee
Last edited by LEE SCHNEIDERMANN on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who can do math, and those who can't.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Take the time and tape the sides before filleting the seams. It is well worth it. Proper Preparation will save a lot of sweat, sanding and time.

I paint a strip of epoxy , on each side of the seam , when it cures a light ( very light sanding) and then the tape is put down leaving the width I want the fillet to cover over the seam. The run off is easy to clean up when it is on the tape , plus when the fillet starts to cure and you pull the tape you will have a nice crisp , sharp line.

The epoxy strip on the wood gives the tape something to hold onto and when it is pulled and there isn't any wood coming along with it. When filleting you can smooth the fillet out to the stage where no or very little sanding is required. Plus the epoxied surface on each side of the seam helps to protect the wood from the sandpaper.

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

Thanks for all the great advice. Have been real busy lately so not much done with it. Raining today so my plan is a day in the garage with the wood! I should have ready to stitch together in the next day or so. :mrgreen:
~~ Dickie ~~
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

It actually looks like something!! Now maybe I can get some of the garage cleaned up and move it to the other side!

~~ Dickie ~~
Bellybuster
Type of boat I like: pirogues kayaks

Post by Bellybuster »

lookin good Dickie, I have been away on a fishing trip so my boats are at a stand still. Did you use butt blocks or glass on your joints??
I am getting anxious to stitch mine together but I need the panels to mark out the second boat.
Dickie

Post by Dickie »

I used glass. Am a little confused though, frame 2 is not looking right. It says it will end up about a quarter inch above side panel but when I hold side up to where it's supposed to be, it looks like it's an inch or so. Maybe it will line up better when its all stitched but have been holding off, measuring and re-measuring. All seems to fit. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.
~~ Dickie ~~
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

hmmm.... stitch it all up and see where it ends up then.
-Matt. Designer.
Bellybuster
Type of boat I like: pirogues kayaks

Post by Bellybuster »

I'm a little worried about my forms, they were cut from scraps so the measuring was not from edges of full sheets. Took some effort to wrap my brain around a few measures.
Lookin good so far, you're gettin way ahead of me