The ugly duck is started

Builder show and discuss their progress.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: The ugly duck is started

Post by john the pom »

Hey Ron, looking good mate. Have to say I'm liking the the look of the strip n stitch idea.
Do you have any ideas on the weight comparison between using pine and plywood? My thoughts are that the extra epoxy, and the fact that you'd probably be using slightly thicker strips, might well balance the whole thing out to weigh about the same as plywood. If its lighter I would definitely look into using next time around. I have been keeping my eye out for some nice plywood for a while now but am finding bugger all worth buying.
Cheers John.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

With the water line on this boat being a full 16 ft,it is equal to a normal 17ft 6 inch boat and is braced in the cockpit area more than normal. It weighed in at 49 lbs , in my opion it is lighter than ply. Western red ceder would be lighter yet. Strips were 1/4 inch and as stif as it turned out 3/16 would have been plenty .
Be the way I build from now on
Ron
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Looks beautiful Ron. And fast.

When I did my strip Jem Touring Pirogue awhile back, i used 3/16 inch strips and it was plenty stiff. Far stiffer than a plastic boat. I think the finished boat was 35 pounds but being a pirogue it did not have a deck which saves some weight. It was about half and half cedar and pine.

What I really like about the strip and stitch method is that you build the panels flat. That way you don't need to cut the strips down to 3/4 to conform to the radius of the building forms. When I ripped the strips for the okwata I am building from 5/4 X 4" cedar deck boards, i just left them at 5/4 wide. This makes for less strips to edge glue, and less waste.

Here is a link to a chart of the various commonly used woods. Cedar appears to be one of the least dense of the woods that is readily available. http://www.hoganhardwoods.com/hogan/pag ... ravity.htm
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Got the hatches cut and lips glassed in

Also set and glassed in the rails for the adjustable seat.

She is coming right along ,a few more days and she will be rigged out.
Ron
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

Looking Great :wink:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson