The ugly duck is started

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: The ugly duck is started

Post by tx river rat »

Well I got the duck out outside today so I could shot a couple pic . Now it is time to start putting a good finish on her.

from the front

from the rear

side view

I havent weighed her yet but from the feel of it I would say in the fourtys. about 44 we will see hom my scale arm works :D
Ron
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Darrells »

Ron, You need to get Sondra to paint you a Ugly Ducklin on the bow. :D Then carry a duck call and everytime you pass someone in a race blow it. :lol: :lol:

Bud,
With the decks installed it looks even better than when I saw it the other day. i would say your right about the low 40's.
Darrell Sykora
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Darrel
I still like slicking her up but she is coming along,sink or swim time is not far off.
Ron
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

WOW ! ! :D :D
Nice work Ron........Very sleek.... :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

She isnt finished yet ,just the first layer of glass on her,Thanks
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

No pics today just sanding and running another coat of glass on her.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Boy this a normal deal I guess,I put the finish coat of glass on this afternoon and had made my mind up to give the duck a chance to sink or swim tomorrow,yep started raining. Happens everytime.
She isnt finished but I have an itch to see if she will do what I think she can.
Then I will come back and start slicking her up.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

The duck is not finished but i couldnt wait any longer. I loaded her up and headed for the lake.

I was by myself so ya'll will have to wait for paddling pic.
I LOVE THIS BOAT.
It surpased every thing I wanted her to do.. I dont have time for a long report but I will say this there was wind blowing waves not quit whitecapping no foot pegs and I saw 6.5 mph on the gps :D :D :D :D
More tonight.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

This is a short summary of the ducks first outing.
I took a lot of chances on this boat,and invested a lot of time and energy not knowing if it was going to work out. The striper s@g was the first one. I have to say I really like this way of constructing a boat,benefits of the S@G and the versatility of the stripers.
Second thing ,this was the narrowest boat I had built,20 inches at the bottom and I wasn't sure
if I was good enough to handle that and how stable she would be.
Third chance was a full 16 ft water line ,I didnt know if I was a good enough engine and I didnt know if I could heel her being that narrow.
I unloaded her threw a seat in and got in,hum that wasn't bad,backed her out from the bank nd turned her,didnt turn to bad

I started paddling out toward the open lake,and started hitting the swells and small white caps,three strokes I glanced at the reeds and they were flying by ,I was grinning from ear to ear.
I turned her sideways to the wind and waves and let her ride for a minute ,no problem paddled back to get the gps. as I came up to the bank I heeled her over till water came over the side,not the coaming,she turned like a dream.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

6.5???? :shock:

Is that sustained or going all out? I knew she'd be fast but.... :?:
-Matt. Designer.