How many boards

Builder show and discuss their progress.
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

How many boards

Post by preacher »

Setting up a new shop has it's draw backs, like finishing up on interior wiring, runnning the wire from the house to the shop, adding a leanto carport to park my yak trailer under, installing interior and exterior lighting, yuk.

I am also spending most of my time now splitting WRC boards and cutting them up into 1"X1/4" strips. I have decided to forget the frustrating Okume plywood idea and put my panels together with strips similar to the way Ron did his pretty/ugly duck.

My question is twofold.
1) About how many 8 foot boards will I have to rip to do my Cape Fear SOT yak? 15 1/2 feet long, 30 inches wide. I just finished 5 - 8'X2"X4" boards and 1 - 8'X2"X6" boards and it don't seem like much.

2) I want to avoid typical plywood butt joints in my panels. Do I scraf my 8 foot strips together or just glue them end to end while building the strip panels?
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: How many boards

Post by Oldsparkey »

preacher wrote:
2) I want to avoid typical plywood butt joints in my panels. Do I scraf my 8 foot strips together or just glue them end to end while building the strip panels?
Using the scarf joints you can have them just about anywhere where you need to elongate a board , the middle is better then at the ends due to the bending of the strips to form the ends.

You confuse me by saying ..... " Glue them end to end " .. You have to glue the joints where they meet or you would not have a joint. Unless you have come up with a new way of connecting two strips of wood , butt joints or scarf joints. :? It is still where two strips of wood meet and join together to become one.... Sort of like a marriage of the two of them to become one.

I would suggest using the epoxy to do that , unless you have located a glue you have the utmost faith in. A bad bonding will become a divorce between then , not a good thing when building a boat and counting on those strips to hold together. Till it is completed and glassed over.

As far as now many you need ... the dimensions of the solid panels will let you know .... 3/4 inches for every inch needed.

Not sure about what you are building but..........Three panels for the pirogue I made .... 12 inch sides and a width of 29 inches on the bottom ... It took 144 strips at 8 feet ( each) to make that stripper pirogue I made. Would of been half that if they would of been 16 foot strips.

Best to take a look at the plans and what is needed , then go from there ..... what ever you decided , make a few more strips to be safe.

Chuck
Last edited by Oldsparkey on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

If it were me, I'd stagger all the strips so no joint is in the same location. Then you can simply butt the strips end to end and it should be strong enough. If you want to be extra sure, a 45 degree or more scarf joint will increase the bonding face surface area of the butted strips.

-Matt. Designer.
preacher

Post by preacher »

Oldsparkey wrote:
You confuse me by saying ..... " Glue them end to end " .. You have to glue the joints where they meet or you would not have a joint.
Chuck
LOL, yeah, like end to side or end to top? That would be confusing. I was referring to butt joints. Wondering if scraf joints would be stronger and/or better looking.

don
preacher

Post by preacher »

jem wrote:If it were me, I'd stagger all the strips so no joint is in the same location. Then you can simply butt the strips end to end and it should be strong enough. If you want to be extra sure, a 45 degree or more scarf joint will increase the bonding face surface area of the butted strips.
I like that idea and should be able to make that work okay by scrafing random lengths.

Thanks Matt, I will keep a photo journal of this in case it works. Does that sound like confidence?

don
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

preacher wrote:
Oldsparkey wrote:
You confuse me by saying ..... " Glue them end to end " .. You have to glue the joints where they meet or you would not have a joint.
Chuck
LOL, yeah, like end to side or end to top? That would be confusing. I was referring to butt joints. Wondering if scraf joints would be stronger and/or better looking.

don
Scarf joints are harder to see for the untrained eye since they can be anywhere in the wood over a butt joint which is easy to see by anyone. As far as being stronger , you have more wood to wood then in a butt joint which needs to be reinforced with glass. A smaller junction on the outside but a better bond since the two strips have a larger area to mate to.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

You can make a simple 1:8 scarfing jig that slides in the grove on the table saw out of scrap. I did this when I was building my cedar strip touring pirogue a couple years ago.

It works well for making very long pieces for the gunwales or making full length strips. There is probably a better way of making one, but i needed one fast and this one took all of 10 minutes to make.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Post by makenmend »

Hi preacher the method I'm using sounds like your intent, Ron spawned the idea but I didn't want any butt jionts so I'm doing full length plate scarfing as I go dosn't add on but a few seconds with a jig here's my method for what its worth.
1. cover bench top with painters paper Image
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

2. lay and alighn template Image
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

3. transfer outline to paper Image