CAPE FEAR STRIPPER- More Pictures Added

Builder show and discuss their progress.
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER-5/11

Post by preacher »

Assembling the cross, trying to keep right angles so the adjoining strips will line up.

This wood is so dense and heavy I believe the cross will weigh as much as all the rest of the strips that make up the front deck. But, it's purdy :wink:
preacher

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER-5/13

Post by preacher »

Slowly adding strips around the cross to form the front deck.
Shaping housing for rudder control cable. Outside.
And inside. Also pre-fitting rudder controls.
Dry fitting the cockpit sidewalls and flooring before rigging and glass. Looking aft.
Looking foreward.
Now I'm waiting for glass to dry on the cockpit floor and sidewalls.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER-5/14

Post by PiratePete »

That colour is amazing!!!

I also love the hammer clamp

Graybeard
Type of boat I like: Wood and SOF kayaks.

Post by Graybeard »

PiratePete wrote:That colour is amazing!!!

Heck I need one of those to keep my tools from walking away. Or maybe a paddle lease, so my sons would have to think, "How badly do I need this screwdriver?"

LOL
preacher

Post by preacher »

Graybeard wrote:
PiratePete wrote:That colour is amazing!!!

Heck I need one of those to keep my tools from walking away. Or maybe a paddle lease, so my sons would have to think, "How badly do I need this screwdriver?"

LOL
Just another example of my wood working skills . . . or maybe my southern engineering. But, you gotta do something when you run out of lead weights. :wink:

That bloodwood is very beautiful but it's as heavy as iron and very hard. When I wetted it out with laquer thinner it really popped out so I'm praying it finishes out really bright.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Thats just good ole down home Texas engineering.
Ron
preacher

Post by preacher »

No pics this go round. I have completed the cockpit, installed the rudder controls (cables, foot pedals, etc) installed the rear and mid decks, cut in the mid deck 8 inch Hobie water tight hatch, installed 2 flush mount rod holders, installed a 1/2 inch PVC conduit in the left sidewall between the front and mid hatch areas for future wiring and almost comleted the assembly of the front deck.

The rear scupper is built but not installed and now I have to construct the sidewalls and floor of the tankwell, and also cut in a small rear hatch and the front hatch after I mount the front deck. Oh, yeah . . . I'm guessing the weight has busted 40 pounds but not as much as 50 pounds with all the rigging. Sorry Pogo, the SOT scheme really added some weight, but I might add that Matt's design is awesome. I am also flirting with a fold down cushion seat (camo of course, to go with the color scheme) and utilize some sort of slide in - slide out very low profile mount. I may have to float the boat to complete that mission.

Leaving for salt water vacation Friday morning so I won't finish this puppy for another 2-3 weeks, but I'm getting real close.
preacher

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER-5/24

Post by preacher »

preacher

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER-5/26

Post by preacher »

After my 2 week vacation I am back. Doing some fillet work and also set the deck in place for marking and trimming.

Also, I have decided to go with water tight black plastic hatches. One is in place and other 2 are on order. I'm using round Hobie hatches for the rear and mid hatches, going with retangular Crack of Dawn with the 4 corner clamp down for my front hatch. Since the bottom is going to be black and the deck eyes, rod holders, depth finder and seat and other rigging are all going to be black (although the seat may be camo) I thought the black decks would blend better. That and the fact I didn't feel confident enough to try to build the hatch lids and was afraid they just wouldn't fit/look right or not be water tight. I can experiment on something else later.
preacher

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER-6/12

Post by preacher »

Sorry about the quality of the pics. My underwater camera is even worse so I'm using my phone.
Tomorrow I start on the tank well floor and walls.