CAPE FEAR STRIPPER- More Pictures Added

Builder show and discuss their progress.
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER- LAUNCHING THIS WEEKEND

Post by preacher »

WOW! What a boat. This thing is FAST. Matts design of secondary stability is awesome. She carried me and another 75 pounds with no trouble.

She does not spin well in tight places but that may be caused by my only problem, a leak in the scupper. We fished Friday for 5 hours and took on about 1 or 2 gallons. Should be easy to repair.

Main problem is reaching stuff in the tankwell. I can sit sidesaddle with no problem but its way there to reach stuff. But, plenty of room in the cockpit to carry some stuff.

The somewhat higher seat is awesome, maybe a little too far forward when placed at the knee break. But the water in the hull uinder the tankwell made it hard to tell.

Did slime her with some rat and slot Reds.

My son has the pics but we're still fishing. Will get them posted Wednesday or so.

Matt, great design and a great boat, thank you so much.
preacher

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER- LAUNCHING THIS WEEKEND

Post by preacher »

barditch wrote:(From another forum) Now I really want a paddle report! I have a small plot hatching in what's left of my mind!

On the early part of Pg 2 of the build, where you are stitching the bow together, you have two pieces of stock clamped between the bow panels...is this an integral stem that you shaped after the glue/goopie/fillet process dried?
The 2 pieces were used to reshape the bow. I like a pointy bow and Matts design was laid back. Nothing wrong just my preference.

OK, back home, these are a few from my camera. Will add the action shots of the yak when my son sends them to me.

Salt marshes out of Stingaree, Galveston Bay. Like sitting in a Caddy with plush seats. The "V" hull drafted deeper than my flat bottom but still only about 4 inches deep at centerline.

Reds are aggressive fighters and the boat was solid during the fight with this 24 incher. Depth finder worked pretty good and the transducer isn't sealed down yet.

DannyBoy
Type of boat I like: canoes and SOT kayaks

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER- PARTIAL PADDLE REPORT

Post by DannyBoy »

Great job preacher!!!!!
HOME OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE,

Pirogue 14-29, DK Touring Canoe, 14 jon boat, soon to be added Wadefish 15-32 and Sabalo for my sons senoir project.
preacher

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER- PARTIAL PADDLE REPORT

Post by preacher »

More pictures. Got to say again this boat met every expectation. The upper panels are laid back just right and allows a good stroke with my 240 cm paddle with no bumping the side.
Here's what my son posted today:
Hambone911 wrote:Dad said this new SOT is fast, but that does not adequately describe it.
I am a fairly fit guy and I had to work to keep up with this new boat while paddling the Bumblebee, which is a fast boat, while dad looked at ease. It is a beauty on the water, and I think it has some fish mojo that will be deadly when he gets the kinks ironed out.
I am hoping that one day he lets me give it a test paddle, but I am not holding my breath.
Yeah, he says that while he paddles my Bumble Bee that I HAD to give him :wink:
My rod holders are placed perfect and positioned just right. The rudder elevator works great (lucky). Just not sure about the seat position just yet. Got to dewater and repair and I guess I'll just have to paddle it some more to check it out. :mrgreen:

Oh, yeah! One very important thing. Zero hull slap. Not a bit from front, back or side.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER- PART 2 PADDLE REPORT

Post by jem »

Awesome. Can I use your pictures?
-Matt. Designer.
preacher

Post by preacher »

Thanks, that means a lot to me and absolutely. Heres the photobucket folder with all of the posted pictures and more. As soon as I finish with the repair to the leak and get all the varnish on the JEM decals go on it. I will post it for you.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee56 ... PE%20FEAR/

BTW. Raising the tankwell did good, the scupper top cleared by more than an inch. The toe line of the cockpit is just about at the waterline. I may adjust the seat back a little and see what happens, a cockpit scupper may happen yet even with my body weight.

I may build this again now that I'm a little more experienced . . . I will contact you if I do.

What I love most . . . every gas stop or every time we stopped to eat the boat drew a crowd. Even in the marina where we launched. :oops:
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Great result preacher. She's a fine looking boat....you're gonna love her! :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
Bellybuster
Type of boat I like: pirogues kayaks

Post by Bellybuster »

What a beaut!!! Been waiting to see these pics, a fine job Mr Preacher Sir.
preacher

Post by preacher »

Well, found the culprit. Fillet joint failed on the scupper at the hull. Drying her out over a few days then I will Drimmel the joint out and fix her up. Then I can get back to the other coats of varnish and fine tuning the rigging.

Oh, yeah. Got me a new camera as you can see. Sweet little Olympus X560WP water proof to 10 feet. $87.00 delivery free.

So now I can show ya'll how sweet (or ugly) she really is. :wink:
fransjoe
Type of boat I like: SOT Fishing Kayaks

Re: CAPE FEAR STRIPPER- FOUND THE LEAK

Post by fransjoe »

Ugly? Preacher, even a woman would be jealous of your Cape's figure, she looks like a million bucks, I hope that my project of the free laker turns out as nice as your Cape Fear.
A rough day on the water beats any day at work