16' Single-Step Skiff; paddle, row, sail

Builder show and discuss their progress.
footonthesea
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

16' Single-Step Skiff; paddle, row, sail

Post by footonthesea »

Hello all. Just completed a JEM of a boat but feel I may have missed something because the design seems absent from the current plan index (I hope that Matt has not found reason to abandon this hull).

She (XW) was launched in Tuesday's afternoon chill. With a 38" beam, her hips are mellow and the overall effect of her chine is streamlined. However, her flared, Tumblehome sides create excellent stability for two, making stand-casting an easy feat from forward or aft. For those seated, her high freeboard provides excellent protection from wind and chop, while her single-stepped "v"-bottom tracks well when she is loaded for trim (Her steps will slap a little if she is kept well out of trim but she remains stable no matter where you sit) Total dry weight for this version is estimated at 80-90lbs. (I will revise the bench as there are 5-8 extra lbs. cypress there alone). Today was actually an initial launch, to compare load and stability characteristics for the fitting of oarlocks and a sailing rig (The mast step is located on the full length Keelsom and partners with the bench and forward bulkhead). She will feel the water again soon as a rowboat, and by Spring she will be sailing. I can't say enough about how well this hull design works and how many options it affords. If you can get your hands on the plans, and are willing to exert a little more patience than the Touring Pirogue requires, this boat is a real honey! Thanks Matt!

The following link provides launch photos and building steps, I hope it is OK to link my site here as I am not able to insert photos into this thread. If it is possible for someone to link the photos here I would appreciate it.
http://footonthesea.com/Pojects/Boats/H3/Boats.html

I will happily reply to any inquiries about the build process here, but please be patient if it takes me a few days, the water also calls.

Cheers.
"And so by the help of God, perhaps it will turn out after all that freedom and my boat can, just possibly, be synonymous." -Moitessier
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: 16' Single-Step Skiff; paddle, row, sail

Post by craiggamesh »

Beautiful boat. Are these plans available? Looks like a great fly fishing platform. I'm curious and would like to see more.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Never sold that many plans over3 years and these are the first pictures I've ever gotten from a builder.

A bigger version of my Buccaneer is on the drawing board and is similar to this design but not as complicated.
-Matt. Designer.
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Post by Earvin »

Nice work mate, looks fantastic and obviously well designed Matt.

I think I am starting to develop a problem though. At one time I was just into kayaking and now I am looking at this boat thinking 'it would be nice to build a skiff like that'. When will it stop? :wink: .
Simon

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Earvin wrote:
When will it stop? :wink: .
never. :P
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Earvin wrote:Nice work mate, looks fantastic and obviously well designed Matt.

I think I am starting to develop a problem though. At one time I was just into kayaking and now I am looking at this boat thinking 'it would be nice to build a skiff like that'. When will it stop? :wink: .

When you start it , it becomes an addiction especially with the thinking about the next one , which is a good thing. By the way I have not stopped and have no desire to stop over the last 11 years. To many good boats out there to build and then enjoy. :D

Chuck...
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

jem wrote:Never sold that many plans over3 years and these are the first pictures I've ever gotten from a builder.

A bigger version of my Buccaneer is on the drawing board and is similar to this design but not as complicated.
I don't recall ever seeing them, but I just discovered this sight in 2008.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

8) GREAT BOAT BUILD :!: :!: :!:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
Yohan1973
Type of boat I like: fly fishing SKIFF.

Post by Yohan1973 »

Very NICE! Great web site too! I REALLY like what you did with that Pirogue! Great art work!
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Well I'm getting ready to switch to a new laptop and was cleaning out some old emails when I came across an email from Yohan asking me to post these pics in his build thread. I'm about 1.5 years late but here they are:

-Matt. Designer.