Okwata 15-26LC Rogers Occy

Builder show and discuss their progress.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Okwata 15-26LC Rogers Occy

Post by rodot »

Hi Guys,

I have just received my plans and am eager to jion the occy ranks. This may be a bit ambitious for a first timer, but I'm retired and have plenty of time and what the heck. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Great plans Matt. Well written instructions that even a boofhead like me can understand.
I have picked up my 4mm (3.6mm actually) pacific maple marine ply, 6oz cloth and boat cote epoxy and while I am up in Sydney, I am getting the rest of the supplies I might need. (The big green hardware stores up here are a lot cheaper than the little blue hardware store at home).
Untill I can get home I will ponder over whether to do ply butt jionts or fiberglass and whether I can use the 3mm mdf that I got to protect the ply as tempory frames.
I have read all the posts in these forums and it is great to see the advice that has been given and the knowledge that has been shared. It sure is a nice little community you have going here and I would feel proud to be a part of it.

Regards
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Okwata 15-26LC Rogers Occy

Post by hairymick »

G'day Roger and welcome to the growing ranks of Jem and in particular, Occy nuts. 8)

I wonder if it is just an Aussie thing, or are they equally as popular in the US? These are bloody great boats! and I am certain you are going to love yours.

Mate, read the plans and instructions several times, ask questions here and keep reading them as you build. Take your time. the build is pretty straight forward and is doable with care for a first timer.

Measure twice, then check them again and use the Q.A. sheets to check yet again before you cut. :D

Please post lots of piccies of your build here, ask questions and someone will allways be along to try to help you.

Re the MDF for the temp frames, yes you can use it. Just be aware that it needs to be habdled a little more carefully than ply. But it works fine. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Okwata is definitely sells more to the international crowd. I do sell many to the States. About a 65-35% split.
-Matt. Designer.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

Well, Mick's review sold me and I am eagerly awaiting the plans. It has lit a fire under me to get my kitchen remodel done so I can start. Can't wait to see your build Roger.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Matt
Another feather in your hat .
This boat was intended to hit that market wasnt it.
Ron
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Post by rhutchinson »

Matt has so many well deserved feathers in his cap now that he won't be able to go out at all this turkey season :P :P :P

Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

tx river rat wrote:Matt
Another feather in your hat .
This boat was intended to hit that market wasnt it.
Ron
I wanted something that a beginner paddler could get used to, looked good, and was still somewhat simple to build. Why one geographic region like it more than others...not sure! :roll: :D
-Matt. Designer.
rodot

Post by rodot »

OK its time to stop procrastinating and build this kayak. I've read and reread the instructions and now it's time to jump into the deep end.
I did all the plotting and jioned the dots.
Then a QA1. Bewdy mate......too easy.
Finished the plotting and lofting and cut out the frames.
Doesn't time fly when your having fun
Pensioner bed time already. Thats enought for today for this old digger.
Guess tommorrow I'll be making sawdust.

Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
rodot

Post by rodot »

Out with the jig saw today. Warned the nieghbours first that they may hear the occasional outbursts of profanities and expletives. Cut out all the panels and managed to stay outside the lines. Marked out the second lot of panel using the first as a template.
Clamped the panels together on my makeshift workbench and sanded the second one to size.

I used a belt sander to get it close and then a random orbital sander to finish off. I reckon that on my next build I'll use my router. Bloody hell! I've barely started on my first build and I'm already thinking of another. Is this some kind of desease?
I used an eraser to remove all the pencil lines and gave the panels a light sand to clean them up and double check which were the best sides of the ply. Then I put a sheet of plastic on the garage floor to cover any oil spills and layed out the panels to admire my handiwork.

Hey presto , I have a kit. All I have to do now is glue all these bits together and I've got a kayak.
Reading ahead, one question. I have shaped the frames presumably to aid aligning the deck panels. What holds the frames in place after I remove the stitches.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
rodot

Post by rodot »

PS.
Is it worthwhile chamfering or rounding off the inside edges of the panels slightly to aid in alingning the panels when stiching. I would think that it would be easier than stitching together two sharp edges.
Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico