Okwata 15-26LC Rogers Occy

Builder show and discuss their progress.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Okwata 15-26LC Rogers Occy

Post by craiggamesh »

jem wrote:the drawing does shows the dimension with a caption saying "to outside of panel" but I'll try and make it stand out more.
I was just reviewing my Okwata plans as well before I start the build, and I was confused as well. So the string is laying on the panel for this particular measurement and you measure "up" to the edge?

I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

Gday Craig,
Yes you are absolutly correct. The string lays on top of panels and at the join it is 4mm below the top of the panel. I'm afraid I didnt pick it from the plans.
Good luck, it sure is a nice looking boat.
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

for the Okwata panel 2, the string is 4mm above the edge of the panel.
-Matt. Designer.
rodot

Post by rodot »

WHAT!!!!
I had the string above the line initially. Now I have changed it to an incorrect dimension. GRRRRRRR.
Its all together now and thats where its bloody staying.
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

rodot wrote:WHAT!!!!
I had the string above the line initially. Now I have changed it to an incorrect dimension. GRRRRRRR.
Its all together now and thats where its bloody staying.
Roger
LOL

G'day Roger, don't stress it too much mate. I often make lil mistakes like this. What I do is after the boat is stitched up, I carefully eyeball every seam to ensure fairness and tweak here and there where necessary.

A couple of mill out is not that important. What is importantant is that the overall lines are fair and true.

I have been struggling with a prototype for some time and am about to get her down from the rack again. The struggle I have been having is entirely my own fault in that my mind wasn't properly on the job in hand at the time and now I need to do some cutting and re-stitching and will get to it shortly.

The boat is similar in design to Okwata but lower volume and a more challenging build. I was rushing it but now have the time to spend and am looking forward to the build.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that it is only ply and epoxy mate. Anything is easily fixed. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
rodot

Post by rodot »

Gday Mick,
Thanks mate. Always nice to get a bit of encouragement. The way the hull is now, everything is together and the panels are glued in place. Eyeballing it it looks pretty damn good. All the seams are quite equal, with no wide gaps and the hull seems straight and true. Just waiting to round off the fillets at the bow and stern and then I'll wet out the hull, probably tomorrow.
I have one question. Was wondering how much epoxy to mix up at time when using a paint roller over the hull. I assume I just pour some in a roller tray and whack it on like paint. Albeit a very tacky paint.

Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

G'day Roger,

I use the west system 3 to 1 mix. Initially, for the saturation coat and for the wet out coat, I mix 120ml of epoxy, that is 3 X 30mls or resin and 1 X 30ml of hardener.

This should be enough to do the entire inside OR the outside of the hull for the saturation coat and is about enough to work with at a time for the wet out coat.

With the progressive fill coats, you can mix a little less each time.

I like to use a disposable foam roller to apply the resin and then I squeegee the excess off to avoid as many runs as I can. Kayak Jack reckons ya squeegee more resin off than you put on in the first place and I tend to agree with him.

I wouldn't "slap" it on mate. Work it in gently, If it starts to turn whitish, you are working it to hard and forcing air into the resin, and the white will stay there in your finish coat.

For the saturation coat, I would apply it in the evening as the air in your shed is cooling. You will avoid outgassing this way :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Hmm eyeballs pricked up when I read
similar in design to Okwata but lower volume
Fancying an Okwata, yet liking the idea of a lower volume boat. Being a shortarse this sounds iteresting. 8)
Roger the piccies look sensational mate. Keep on doing whatever it is you're doing.
Regards John.
rodot

Post by rodot »

Ive done a lot sanding and now it's saturation coat time. :D

I am looking forward to this.
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
john the pom

Post by john the pom »

Hey Roger, is there any rocker in the hull of this boat, or is it an illusion because of the hull sweeping up and into the bow and stern? I couldn't pick it in any of your pictures, nor those on Mick's build.
Regards John.