Aussie Trapper

Builder show and discuss their progress.
ColCollyer
Type of boat I like: trapper

Re: Aussie Trapper

Post by ColCollyer »

Hi Rob
I glassed the inside while the panels were flat, now I still need to fillet and glass the seams..... a good place to peel ply. My inner gunwales are made, but will do the seams first. Still need to get my head around the breast plates, using some doublers or triplers to increase the glue area
I'd like to make a jem label with "Trapper" on it to glass into the inside, probably on the doublers on the join
I have some photo's on the camera, but don't seam to get time to load at the moment. Spent some money at Whitworths marine .... Goldspar original varnish, and some 10inch round hatches (Nairn) that I dont seem to be able to open. I might have to go back to the wood hatch, not as water proof, but better fitting the concept
Yours Faithfully in Dust
Col
ColCollyer

Post by ColCollyer »

Wel. I still have'nt done the fillets, but I have realized I have a hang up with them! Done some mucking about with other stuff, but avoided the fillets. Guess I need to have a beer or two, and get into them.... can't be that hard.
I have put some more effort into the gunwale / breast plate area, and think I have it sorted.
Also have some more photo's up
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

You really don't have to worry that much about the fillets. Just use some blue tape on either side of the joint and that will give you a lot of peace of mind. Just make sure you take up the tape before the fillet is completely cured. It's just like spreading peanut butter except with a stick. :wink:
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

preacher wrote:You really don't have to worry that much about the fillets. Just use some blue tape on either side of the joint and that will give you a lot of peace of mind. Just make sure you take up the tape before the fillet is completely cured. It's just like spreading peanut butter except with a stick. :wink:
As Preacher said , it works really good. Just make sure that you put some epoxy down on the wood where the tape is going to go. The epoxy seals the wood so when you pull the tape it does not pull any wood with it. When I do mine I do a double strip so any excess fillet can be picked up and used where it should be used.

Plus this way of doing it will save a lot of time sanding or removing mistakes. I found that if you law down a bead of the fillet and then I used an old charge card to spread it out. The card will conform to the area so the fillet is uniform.

Just don't use the edge that has that gray magnetic strip on it , the epoxy will remove it and it becomes part of the fillet. A paper towel is handy to clean the edge of the card with.

DON'T forget to pull the tape before the fillet cures all the way , about 45 minutes to an hour is about right for the fillets I do...... You will have to judge yours.

If anything the filleting can be the fun part of the build...... Preparation is vital before the actual work is being done.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Yea what Chuck and Preacher said. Prepping is the key. Makes the "doing" much easier.
-Matt. Designer.
ColCollyer

Post by ColCollyer »

Yippee
I have crossed my hurdle, seems are all filleted, glassed the ends and the bit in the middle that wasn't glassed before. Just need to tape over the fillets and then fit bulkhead and inner gunwales. Then the deck.
Plan on putting it in water to check for leaks before the deck goes on, although I cant see it leaking.
Thanks for the comments to get me going again
Col
ColCollyer

Post by ColCollyer »

some more photos added http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... ing108.jpg
I have now tapped the fillets, and have started working on the edges of the tape with a scraper and ROS. Also doing dry runs on the inner gunwale and bulkhead. I also have to tale some wood off the top of the bulkhead doubler, something I thought I measured twice.
Col
RobRassy
Type of boat I like: canoe and sailing dinghy

Post by RobRassy »

G'day Col
Good to see you making progress and some pic's
Did you have to do much sanding on the fillets?
You shouldn't be to far off launching now
I launched on the weekend, and I have to tell you, your going to love your Trapper!!!
I'm also really pleased with the seats I built, thought they were a bit too light for the job but they feel just right.
Let me know if you would like the details

Cheers Rob
ColCollyer

Post by ColCollyer »

Hi Rob
Yes, I saw your test paddle.... looks good. Now to the Hairymick part, out and about. It's got that classic look about it, and I recon it will be a faithful camping companion.
As for mine, I seem to be out every night at the moment, but I get an hour here and there.
No the fillets needed hardly any sandong, but the tape I have put over them has taken a bit of a sand. Then I'll do another coat of epoxy on the inside, probably rub it off again with a rag, gives a nice light even coat, hardly any rework.
At present I'm doing the inner gunwale, bulkheads and deck. They all need to be test fitted as a unit before gluing in.
As for seats, I succummed to those cane seats, probably not as user freindly as yours !Interestingly. You were going to sit your seats on rails, but I see youv'e hung them. What height did you finish up at, and are you happy with it
RobRassy
Type of boat I like: canoe and sailing dinghy

Post by RobRassy »

Hi Col
Might be a little while before the first trip, I still want to do a bit of detailing and build a set of paddles.
The rear seat is 8-1/2 inches & Front 8-3/4 inches measured from inside, top of seat to center fillet on floor
I feel the positioning length wise is important too! If I were to do mine again I would move them 20mm closer to the center for better solo performance. They are at 70 & 100 cm from the middle.
Do you have a measurement in mind for the seat spacing ?
My seats are not hung but glued to the side, the little knee pieces up to the gunwale are to tie the seat and gunwale together. The design is basically a cane seat with slats instead of cane.

Rob