Aussie Trapper

Builder show and discuss their progress.
ColCollyer
Type of boat I like: trapper

Re: Aussie Trapper

Post by ColCollyer »

Thanks Mick
Looks like i underestimated by a fair bit. Maybe if i get it cut to 8mm sq, the outer could be then 16 x32, maybe the inner at 8 x32 might be a bit thin?
Today I inquired at a cabinet maker about stripping. seems it is all mdf now, and all the machinery has gone. Mathews was my first call for wood,but they advised that they don't strip it. I have been advised to try Hazelwood and Hill in Burwood)
I also inquired about marine epoxy and alamine blush at a major fibre glass supplier, and he advised they all blush this weather ! This has taken me full circle, as we use Araldite 3600 at work, and I am comfortable with it, but all the blurbs say I should be using marine epoxy. Opinions please

Now a confused Col
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Col, your fibreglass bloke is a wanker!

I use West Systems 105 epoxy and their 207 special purpose hardener. never had blush of any description and most of my builds have been in the midst of our wet seasons.

Give Scott Alexander of ATL composites on the Gold Coast a shout. He is a great bloke and knows his stuff.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
ColCollyer

Post by ColCollyer »

http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af223/ColCollyer/
Hi guys
I spent 2 hours trying to get the photo's to load. I've come to the conclusion that me and computers belong in different centuries !
Progress
mark and cut out.... done, easier than I thought, just takes time and space
stained the ply yellow,...done... probably a waste of tome, as it dissapears when epoxied
resined the outside of panels, rubbed off excess with a rag... done
put cloth on the inside, re located, and removed excess epoxy with credit card... done
drilled all the holes...done
joined panels, used cotton flock and balsa dust for filler... done
stitched together with cable ties...done
glued middle and 1 seam on each side, with said cotton flock and dust...done
will do the other 4 seams tonight
I recon I might be nearly half way now
its fun
Col
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

ColCollyer wrote: stained the ply yellow,...done... probably a waste of tome, as it dissapears when epoxied
Col
Top work Col

Did the die disappear because of the colour or the epoxy carrying it away?

I am looking at staining some Hoop Pine purple for the Wadefish Im going to build for my 15 year old daughter.

You are almost there with your pics. When you are in your album in Photobucket. Mouse over the pic you want you should bring up a dialogue box. Copy the bottom one called "IMG Code" & paste it in your post.

(IMG)http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... .jpg(/IMG) itt should look like this but with the [] brackets not the () ones.

After just trying that you might need to resize your pics first before they will post. I usually make mine 800 x 600 & that can be done whilst in Photobucket to.
ColCollyer

Post by ColCollyer »

Hi Pete
The yellow is still there, but hardly shows. It has made a nice tone to the wood. I did some hoop plne ply paddles, they are on the floor in one of those pictures, and because of the wood colour, they are much yellower, but not epoxied yet. I also did a test on some gaboon in purple, and I thought it went a little brownish, now I think it's a stronger colour than the yellow !
Yep, will try again with the piccies
Thanks
Col
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Pics are sized too big. But they look great!
-Matt. Designer.
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

ColCollyer wrote: I also did a test on some gaboon in purple, and I thought it went a little brownish, now I think it's a stronger colour than the yellow !

Col
Did you try the purple on the Hoop Pine??
ColCollyer

Post by ColCollyer »

Hi All
I have made some real progress, as I glassed the outside om friday night. Because of the cloth only being a metre wide, I had ti do it in 2 halves. overlapping by a good inch along the bottom seam. It took about 2 hours per side, spreading the epoxy with a credit card. The only bit that didn't go to plan, was rapping the cloth around the ends, it kept gettong bubbles, so I well go back and do it with 2 layers of thinner cloth at 45, and strech peel ply over it if I have to.
The next problem coming up is gunwales.... I'm looking for someone to cut hoop pine, and perhaps a contrasting wood into about 10mm sq, so I can laminate. I can get the hoop pine 25 X 150 X 5mtrs, but I can not find anyone to cut it without spending more than the rest of the canoe put together.
Anyone in the Melbourne area got any connections
Photo's soon
Col
RobRassy
Type of boat I like: canoe and sailing dinghy

Post by RobRassy »

G'day Col

We are still level pegging, I glassed my outside on Sunday afternoon and probably took about the same time. I didn't even bother trying to glass over the ends, will do it as a separate job
Might be a bit late but you can get 1.4m wide 200gsm glass from Boatcraft Pacific

For sawing the hoop can I suggest you check out your local Wooded boat Association there is bound to be some one there that can help you or at least point you in the right direction
There are plenty of contact details on their website

Rob
PiratePete

Post by PiratePete »

Dont know any one with a triton work bench Col?

Or with kids at High School that could rip it down on one of the schools saws?