Aussie Trapper

Builder show and discuss their progress.
ColCollyer
Type of boat I like: trapper

Aussie Trapper

Post by ColCollyer »

Well, this is going to be something new for me.
I have bought the Trapper plans from Matt, and some local Gaboon, so it's time to clear out the shed and make a start.
As I have noticed on these forums, there are lot's of different ways of approaching the same job..... And I guess Ill be no different. My background is aeromodelling and my job involves composite's with Aerosonde, but very little to do with ply.
I wish to stain the plywood blue, with cold water die, It's worked well with balsa and lasted 20 odd years.
So, here is my plan
1/ cut ply
2/ stain.... mix die in hot water to dissolve, then mix with metho. Rub into wood, possibly several times.... allow plenty off time to dry out
3/ apply resin to the outside, and resin and cloth to the inside of all panels
4/ stitch up as per instructions. Here is where I'm out of my depth, and have concerns that the ply might now be too stiff. Comments welcome...
5/ follow instructions, as per glassing outside, and taping inside.
6/ Gunnels.... no idea what wood to use, so again, open to advice. Looked at some nice white Paulwinia ??

This is going to be a learning curve for me, and I'm looking forward to it... Just need some encouragement that I'm on the right track
Cheers
Col Collyer in Melbourne
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Aussie Trapper

Post by hairymick »

G'day Col and welcome to the darkide mate.

What part of Oz are you from?

Re the gunwhales, These, combined with your breasthooks are the heart and the strength of your boat. I don't think paulonia is up to the task. I use clear Hoop pine as gunwhales and all other timber work and have been very happy with it so far.
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
i smell smoke
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by i smell smoke »

fist up G,day col
not having built my first yet i am going to be watching this build thread with interest .
but from the reading i have done the only thing i can see that you may have to do that is a little different from the norm is some how colour your wood flour and fillet mix .
may be some one with more know how than me can comment on this .
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Hi Col

Im looking forward to seeing how your staining of the ply goes. I have the plans for a Wadefish & am looking to make a PURPLE one for my daughter & am thinking of staining it first.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I used some water based stain and had problems later with the cloth and glass bubbling up. You might look at the tints,check out Darrels boats .
Ron
ColCollyer

Post by ColCollyer »

My second go at this... big bang and smoke the first time!
Thanks for the quick replys, and valuable information.
Mick, I live SE melbourne, Glen Waverley to be exact. The Hoop pine for gunnels, I'm guessing thats not a bunnings line, is it easy to get from a timber supplier? Your good lady wanted a purple one, thats what got me going on the colour thing, although it creates a bit of work at the very start.
Ron and Pete..The observations from previous use of the stain, is that it works good on balsa, was a bit harder to get penetration on ply ( hoop pine type ply, gaboon is more porous, so may be somewhere between the 2) The trick, I beleive, is the mixing with metho, very little water, so it doesn't affect the moisture content of the ply too much. The metho still stinks weeks later, which tells me it is still evapourating. Dry ply is required for a good epoxy bond. May explain the bubbling
Thanks Guys
Colin C
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Mick, I live SE melbourne, Glen Waverley to be exact. The Hoop pine for gunnels, I'm guessing thats not a bunnings line, is it easy to get from a timber supplier?
Nah mate. You might find some hoop at bunnings but it will be as dear as heck and only in mouldings.

I get mine rom a local cabinet maker bloke who is keeping a good supply of the stuff. You might like to call in to some of the local joinery shops or cabinet makers and ask. Failing that, give Michael Storer a shout. He is Boatmik on the Aussie woodworking forum. He seems to know everyone who supplies quality timber in Aus.
Regards,
Mick

Tor

Post by Tor »

ColCollyer wrote:I'm guessing thats not a bunnings line,
Try Matthews at Vermont for hoop pine, they also have clear spruce at $90 a metre :shock:

I get my ply from allboard in Bayswater and Botecote resin from Qld, mailorder

Mate of mine used pawlonia but it is a bit soft and marks easily.
ColCollyer

Post by ColCollyer »

Well, all the pannels are cut and trimmed, and I have just spent some time dyeing them yellow. The test I did on mauve turned out a muddy colour when epoxied, and from previous experiance yellow works OK, and just fades to a pailer yellow, so should be good over time.
I looked in at Mathews Timber, and they have Hoop Pine planks that don't break the bank. BUT, they are in unusable sizes, 25mm x150mm, although the length is good at over 5mtrs. I suppose I go and harass a cabnet maker now to cut and sand to size. All suggestions concidered !

Also, I'm not sure on size, is 10x 30 inner and outer ( plus 4mm for plywood, and maybe 8mm spacers on the inner ) made from 10mm sq, could go even lighter by using 8mm sq, therefore 8 x 24 each. They need to be laminated so as to follow the side elevation curve.
Enough rambling.... got things to make !
Cheers
Col
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Mate, I ripped my hoop gunwhales (outer) to 19 X 28 and inner to 14 X 28. Your gunwhales, thwarts and breast blates are the heart and strength of your boat. don't try to go too light. (IMHO)
Regards,
Mick