Aussie Trapper

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Aussie Trapper

Post by jem »

Anytime before getting it wet. Thwart is an important put of hull integrity.
-Matt. Designer.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

Wow! Beautiful boat. Looks like you have the perfect place to varnish it. You could almost perform surgery in there. :)
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
ColCollyer
Type of boat I like: trapper

Post by ColCollyer »

Ya gettin ahead of me...
Thwart is in, located at the rear end of the 8" doublers.
Seats are in. I decided to have them removable, in case the cane ever needed replacing, the plan was they were to be part of the structure. I don't thing the canoe will ever see white water.
Hay Craiggamesh.... Yep, a great place to paint.... but I still managed a few runs ! Actually, I found it quite difficult to see what I was putting on, as the varnish is very clear, and the building has skylights that give a lot of funny reflections. The plan now is to use it for a week or two, then put a trim line along the side and another coat of varnish. I'm also thinking the finish looked nicer (softer) after I had scotchbrighted it.
Cheers Col
ColCollyer

Post by ColCollyer »

Well..... It's been wet.
We took it down to Lake Narracan the week it rained. we only got to take it out 3 times, but it's everything I hoped for. It doesn't leak, its nice to paddle, quite stable with 2 on board, and ok even if only one is paddling. Interestingly, I think the fibreglass canoe is easier to paddle solo( steers better ), although that may change with more use. Also the f/g one seats 3, I think the Trapper has only enough room for 2, although my compartments in the ends may have compromised seating a little.
I must admit I spent a lot of time admiring it.It's a keeper
Now to put some trim on it, and another coat of varnish
http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... ing133.jpg
RobRassy
Type of boat I like: canoe and sailing dinghy

Post by RobRassy »

What a Ripper Col 8)
The Trapper looks beautiful & you've got some great shots there
Your passenger looks a little nervous though, the trapper is far more stable than the two hands on the gunwales would indicate :lol:
Did you paddle solo from the front seat?
I'll bet the Trapper is much more maneuverable than the fiberglass one

Well done

Rob
ColCollyer

Post by ColCollyer »

Hi Rob
Answering your questions...
Yes, it's come out pretty good, and has been a satisfying build.
Yep, Yep, often nervous. Also deaf when in a boat with no hearing aids, so my intent was to face her the other way so she could lip read, worked to an extent, but upset the balance. Thought about swapping seats, but then I would be paddling from a wider part of the boat.
Yes, I tried solo from the front seat facing the other way, and couldn't paddle a strait line. May have been ok with a double paddle, or more load in the boat, with 1 on board it sits up pretty high
Maneuverability...Yes, good, especially with my daughter, who seems to get the jist of it quite quickly, we could pretty much turn it around in its own length, although we did have trouble going where we wanted in some wind ( we wanted to go up wind about 100yds) although experience may have helped, we are still novices.
Did I mention it tipped me out! I'd dropped one of the girls off (in that little cove), which left me in the back seat..... Methinks Ill just turn around, using wide paddle strokes, and it worked a treat, as most of the front was out of the water. Must have been a bit careless on one stroke, as it tipped me out, quick as a flash ! Something to do with the narrowness down the back I hear !
I'm looking forward to getting out again, as I recon there's a bit to learn yet.I'd like to be able tp paddle it solo, so may try the double paddle
Cheers
Col