Strip built Okwata

Builder show and discuss their progress.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Strip built Okwata

Post by craiggamesh »

Sanded and sanded and sanded some more. Then put a fill coat on and glued on the cock pit combing.

One more fill coat, cut the hatches, and finish the combing and this baby is ready for the water. On maybe just put her in the water tomorrow and then finish the other stuff later. :twisted:
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Looks way too nice to put in the water, mebbe you should hang it on the wall. Ok that's not gonna happen. Enjoy.
Cheers John.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

john the pom wrote:Looks way too nice to put in the water, mebbe you should hang it on the wall. Ok that's not gonna happen. Enjoy.
Cheers John.
John,
I couldn't wait any longer. The person that is helping me build it, and will be the new owner, came over to work on it today. We decided to put her in the water first...just to be sure there were no holes int it. :D I had all three JEMS out today. I will post a report in the out and about section.
Regards,

Craig
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

After taking her out, we decided to mask the bottom along the line where the bottom panels join the side panels and put the first coat of graphite/epoxy mix on.

Regards,

Craig
surfman

Post by surfman »

These strip builds are pretty sweet keep up the good work. :shock:
Tight Lines, Steve
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Thanks. I am just about ready to go out and finish the cockpit coaming.
Regards,

Craig
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Wow! Where has the time gone? I guess I have been spending too much time fishing. :shock: I will be going out for my first attempt this year for Spring Chinook salmon, last week I caught so many rock fish out in the salt water my jigging arm hurt. Ah well, a man can never eat too many fish tacos or too much fish curry. :)

I did get some more work done on the Okwata. I did the part I always hate. I took a saw to a perfectly good deck to make a front hatch. It needed more storage space for longer trips and I also needed access so I could glass the inner seam where the deck meets the hull.

I added the hatch braces:

And we drilled an over-sized hole for the front grab loop and filled it with epoxy/wood flour

Later I may do an end pour for the stern so we can add the grab loops there as well.

What I would really like to do for the next build (hint hint) is a double SOT like Scottrunners that I can fit mirage drives into now that I have a couple of them. It would be a strip-build of course. 8)
Regards,

Craig
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

craiggamesh wrote:I did the part I always hate. I took a saw to a perfectly good deck to make a front hatch.
Yep, I can relate to that - but the good thing is that afterward you can relax with a beer and congratulate yourself on a job well done :D .
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

OnkaBob wrote:
craiggamesh wrote:I did the part I always hate. I took a saw to a perfectly good deck to make a front hatch.
Yep, I can relate to that - but the good thing is that afterward you can relax with a beer and congratulate yourself on a job well done :D .
Absolutely right! I try to relax and have a beer after each step :)

Here is what I did today so far:

Glued in the spacer strips that will correct the depth of the hatch flange for the thickness of the gasket.
Another view. I also drilled thru the epoxy/wood flour fill in the hole for the grab loop. I really am looking forward to being done, but sad that it will not be mine :cry: :
Tough to see, but holes were drilled in the cheek plates for the seat padeyes and a hole was drilled thru both hatch covers for the mechanism that will seal the hatches tight. There is masking tape to hold the thickened epoxy in place that is filling the holes.

Now to go make the knobs that will tighten down the hatches.
Regards,

Craig
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Craig
once you go to the strip stitch and glue you cant go back to ply.
Ron