Strip built Okwata

Builder show and discuss their progress.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Strip built Okwata

Post by craiggamesh »

I finally finished up the Okwata for my friend and it is off to its new home. It still needs a good sanding and a couple more coats of varnish since she got scratched a bit while working on the hatches but that can wait until the rainy season. It is too beautiful not to be paddling.

Here is a quick video on how I did the hatches. I wanted them to be flush with the surrounding deck to be less noticeable. It's a short video that doesn't show every step. I left out the obvious steps like, "drill a hole here", but a person should be able to figure out how everything was done via the video.

http://youtu.be/OBKe7Y2Hca4

Anyways, last Saturday we took it for a shakedown cruise on the mighty muddy mistress we know and love, the Tualatin River. She tracks like an arrow. I believe the weight of the Okwata came in at about 40-42 pounds outfitted. Now there is a new kayaking addict out running loose in the general population. He is already planning trips.

I should have brought a rod, the smallmouth were jumping. The water is warming up! :D
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
JayM
Type of boat I like: Laker Sabalo or Wadefish

Post by JayM »

Beautiful boat, and the video is excellent. I may have to rethink how I was planning to do the hatches on my Wadefish!

Jay
cjbfisher
Type of boat I like: SOT fishing kayaks.

Post by cjbfisher »

Beautiful craft there, Craig. I'm sure that the new owner will have many years of great adventures in it. Have you got any details and/or photos of the latches on the hatch lids?

Edit: Ignore that last question. Missed the video on the first read through.
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

Thanks for the compliments guys.
JayM wrote:Beautiful boat, and the video is excellent. I may have to rethink how I was planning to do the hatches on my Wadefish!

Jay
I wish I would have done the hatches this way for my Sabalo, but I thought I would try the plastic hatches since they looked easy. They work alright, but they get sand in and get hard to turn, and they leak.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.