Another Aussie Trapper

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Another Aussie Trapper

Post by jem »

I can't wait to see her on the water and hear how she paddles. That's one of my favorite designs. Rob yours reminds me SOOOO much of the classic wood-canvas canoes.... which is the look I was going after.
-Matt. Designer.
RobRassy
Type of boat I like: canoe and sailing dinghy

Post by RobRassy »

Thanks Bob & Matt
I was originally going to build wicker seats but have decided to go with the same design and slats in place of the wicker.
I have never seen a wood-canvas canoe in real life Matt but do like the classic looks
I picked the colour (Dark Green) and gunwhale timber to give an old look. Trouble is I'm a little reluctant to put graphite on the bottom :? Will try to keep it to the minimum practical :D

Rob
ColCollyer
Type of boat I like: trapper

Post by ColCollyer »

Looking good Rob, guess you will be getting it wet soon.

PM me for an idea for a seat I saw on another site.

Life is getting in the way with mine, just an hour here and there. Hoping to be wet by Christmas
Cheers
Col
RobRassy

Post by RobRassy »

Thanks Col,
Have you got those pics off the camera yet? :lol:

It can get a bit frustrating when you get diverted from your project
Will contact you re seat

Rob
ColCollyer
Type of boat I like: trapper

Post by ColCollyer »

[edited by Matt - No links to other boat plans sites, please]

Cheers
Col
RobRassy

Post by RobRassy »

Spent Saturday cleaning up, sanding & resining the gunwales.
I cleaned up the gunwale slots as I installed them, and didn't go back to them when sanding

Another two days of sanding to get the inside done & thwart fitted

I'm a little disappointed with the clear finish on the interior.
When the glass went on the resin foamed up and caused the weave to show whitish in places :oops:
I knew what had happened and was not expecting a real flash finish
In the end it doesn't look too bad, and when the seats go in it should look better
I have to keep reminding myself that this boat is meant to be well used, and not a piece of fine furniture

Next weekend the exterior painting & I also hope to float it in the pool to check the seat heights & positions

Rob
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by olsnappa »

Rob....looking good.
Nice detail work on the decks.....and the interior looks pretty good from here.... :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

When you're building, you'll note every flaw. Those stop being so noticeable when it's on the water.
-Matt. Designer.
RobRassy

Post by RobRassy »

Thanks for the encouragement Matt & Snap's, I'm pretty much over that little disappointment. I had a short play in the pool with the Trapper on Sunday, and had that much fun the little defects were all forgotten just like Matt said would happen.

This weekend was all about painting the outside. Two days sanding and Monday was masking and spraying
Most of the sanding had to be done by hand as the panels on the trapper are to narrow to sand accurately with power tools.

When the indicator coat (the red) disappears the surface is flat and you move on to the next bit

Method in the madness

Almost there

As I wanted to check the water line, seat heights & paddling positions, I organised my brother Gary to help me with a test in the pool
Neither one of us has any experience with canoes and spent a few apprehensive moments watching the Trapper caressing the top of the water.

She Floats :D

I bravely sent Gary in first (so I could check the water line of course :roll: )
After a few seconds he began deliberately rocking from side to side exclaiming it leans a bit then gets real stiff. I'm not too sure but I think he was discovering the secondary stability.

You go first

When I took my turn my impression of initial stability was, that it was quite OK too, once you relaxed. She's seems pretty stable over all, I was able to put my hands on the gunwale and lean almost my entire weight over it before I chickened out. I reckon a pair of novice paddlers will soon be very comfortable in this canoe

MY turn My turn

Some might call this Showing Off but I maintain It's checking the stability

The seat positions off the plans seemed right, both of us are around 70kg and the hull felt level.
The heights we tried were from 8 to 10 inches. Gary felt more comfortable at the low 8" and I tended to like them a little higher, especially in the front position. Paddling was OK at all heights so it looks like it is a matter of personal preference. before testing I was going to go for 9 inches but will now go for 8.5 which will allow for a padded seat later on if desired.
All in all I loved the feel of it on the water and didn't want to get out and go back to work on it

Wish we were on a Lake or river

I eventually got it sanded back to 400 grit. Monday was masking and painting day

Ready for paint

It's GREEN :mrgreen:

Rob
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

RobRassy wrote: It's GREEN :mrgreen:
And so are we ..........with envy!

Stability looks fantastic. You've done a very good job on this Rob, can't wait to see it in the "Out and about" section.

And to give due credit I guess we have to say that Matt hasn't done too bad a job either :lol: 8)
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.