jackjama's tv-29 build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jackjama
Type of boat I like: pirogue tv

jackjama's tv-29 build

Post by jackjama »

I have decided to build the TV-29. I am looking for a somewhat lighter boat that I can fish the Galveston bays in. These plans are email plans and are very complete. I am posting this because I hope that I can inspire somebody that has never tried to do something like this before to jump in. I found a lot of helpful ideas from other's posts and maybe I can do the same.

After reading many posts, here is my plan of attack.

Cut patterns out of OSB.

Strip 2 x 4 Cedar into 1.5 by .25 inch strips

Glue up strips on patterns

Cut out with a trip router bit

Here are some pictures

Laying out panels with a six foot straight edge and square

Clamped a .25 inch strip of wood to nails at layed out points

Cut out panels before sanding the edges to size

panels stored on bottom shelf

Now it is time to look for some clear cedar. so far I have less than $10 in the project excluding the plans.
The plans are excellent and complete. I would encourage anyone thinking of building a boat to download the free plans and study the process.
Jackjama

Freedom 17
Pirogue TV 15-29 in progress
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: jackjama's tv-29 build

Post by tx river rat »

Jack
You will love that boat and the method of construction
Ron
jackjama

Post by jackjama »

Thanks Ron,

I followed some of your posts to make the decision. Comments like "my favorite fishing boat etc. helped me make the decision. I am looking forward to the build. It will probably take me through march because of other obligations. That will be just in time for spring fishing.
Jackjama

Freedom 17
jackjama

Post by jackjama »

I picked up my wood today. I found some clear rough 2 by 4 by 8 foot wrc at Lowes. Now I have a little thinking to do. These boards are 1.75 inches thick but they are rough sawn.

I need to decide if I need to plane them before I cut my strips. I don't have a planer so I am wondering what would happen if I cut my strips with the wood as is. The other option would be to clamp my 2 by 4s together and run my random orbit sander over them. I am not sure if this would work or not.

Of course this might be an excuse to buy a planer. If anyone has any thoughts, I am interested.

Also I am a little concerned about how well my saw can rip this thick of material. It is a 1.5 hp Grizzly. I have ripped standard .75 inch thick for my cedar strip canoe but this currently is over twice as thick. I am going to use a diablo thin curf blade. Last time I used a 7.25 inch with 24 teeth. This time I will need to use at least an 8.25.

The weekend is coming up so I will have to make a decision soon.
Jackjama

Freedom 17
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Jack
Rip your boards a 1/16 thicker and then you have plenty of stock for sanding out saw marks are what ever.
The rough edges I did not plane , I have a half sheet hand sanding block ,I just ran that down the edges before I glued. It didnt take much to clean them up.
Ron
PS that ole ceder is soft so sawing and sanding isnt bad.
LIGHT KEEPER'S KID
Type of boat I like: WADEFISH 15x32

Post by LIGHT KEEPER'S KID »

U could set ur saw blade right against the fence on ur saw to clean up ur wood before cutting strips :idea:

Mike
The wise man in the storm prays to God, not for safety from danger, but for deliverance from fear.
__Ralph Waldo Emerson
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

I used a Diablo thin kerf 7 1/4 inch blade and it cuts through the cedar 2x4s like butter.

Although it never hurts to buy an extra blade :twisted:
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
jackjama

Post by jackjama »

I cut my strips this weekend. It has been a while since I used my table saw and things just were not right with it. I mad some adjustments and it was like it had no power. I fugured out my pulley was slipping so i tightened the set screw and that worked for about five minutes. I looked a little closer and realized the woodruff key between the pulley and shaft was missing. After a morning search, I found one at Home Depot. The manual called it a 5 by 5 by 22 and home depot had 3/16 by3/16 which worked. What a difference. The saw went from noisy to quiet.

When I figured this out I had already set up my saw with a diablo 10 inch. If I had it to do over again I would use a diablo 7.25. I was not able to get the 7.25 set up to cut these boards which is 1.75 thick. However that was before I fixed the pulley. The pulley had slipped over a little and was effecting my clearance. I have twice the saw dust I would have had with the thin kerf and it cost me about 7 strips.

Here is the saw setup. The board clamped across the table is my saw guard. I have feather boards to prevent a kick back.

Here are the strips. The ones on the right are good strips. The ones on the left are from a green board. I thought I could strip them and they would dry out faster. The difference between green and dry is like the difference between wet and dry news paper. I don't know if the green ones will dry out flat or not.

The reality is this project will probably get put on hold until after Christmas. My wife has given me a few projects to do before family comes. With all the traveling I do on business, that really is not going to leave many days. I do think that I can sneek out now and then and get my panels layed up so after Christmas I will be ready to start stitching and so forth.
Jackjama

Freedom 17
jackjama

Post by jackjama »

I stripped my first panel. I am stripping the panels in half sections. The end result is I while have 12 panels just as if it were plywood. In a perfect world I would lay them out complete. In the real world I have limited time and space right now and I am cleaning up and putting everything away after each session. The plan is build a panel when I have a chance and then sometime after Christmas i will start putting them together.

this is the panel stripped but not cut. I have my OSB pattern under these strips

Here is a good tip I picked up from this website. Lots of tips here.
http://mysite.verizon.net/NGC704/greenlandpaddle/
strap a stick to the glue to use as a guide

I will be using this trim router to cut the strips to the pattern. This was $19 at Harbor Freight

Here is the routed panel

You will notice I did not bend the strips I laid out straight and cut them. A little different than some that I have seen.

One down 11 to go. A little bit at a time and one day it will be a boat. It is good therapy in the mean time.
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

The panels are looking good.
I know your pain. I travel a lot, too. My boat building goes in spurts. I get a lot done one week and then don't get a chance to work on it for a month afterwards.

Great website link. I love the canoe paddles and the Greenland paddles. I carved one out of a cedar 2X4 and love it. It weighs 26 ozs and was a fun little project. I love it for open water/deep rivers but it does not work real well in shallow rivers. I like the laminated ones that the guy on that site builds. They look very nice.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.