Stripped NorthWind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Stripped NorthWind

Post by Darrells »

New glass is down with a saturation coat. I will do a fill coat tomorrow and see for sure how it is going to look, but i think it will be fine. I can see it because I know it is there, but I don't think the seam will jump out to someone who does not know that it has been spliced.

Darrell Sykora
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Looks good from here Darrell.

I still can't understand how you can get so much done in such a short time - maybe it's connected with your overly tidy workshop :)
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

OnkaBob wrote:Looks good from here Darrell.

I still can't understand how you can get so much done in such a short time - maybe it's connected with your overly tidy workshop :)

Not that tidy................. hes got the same epoxy drips on the floor i've got.

Kinda like a footprint for the archeologists to find :lol: :lol: :lol:
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

That boat is looking beautiful. So is the shop.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

I wiggled it, shook it, cussed at it, drank a beer,wiggled some more, drank a beer, cussed a little more, drank a beer, shook it some, drank another beer and then it came off of the forms :D . Started sanding the inside and I am very impressed with the weight so far.

Darrell Sykora
Whirly
Type of boat I like: 18-36 Trapper

Post by Whirly »

Whoa! Man that looks good!....and who said beer and power-tools don't mix? :lol:
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

This boat build is drawing a lot of interest. On the forums it's posted on, it has 19,390 hits so far with a long way to go.
Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

The way my sinuses are killing me, I am not about to sand a Cedar and Redwood boat. Broke down and went and got a shot today so maybe by the weekend I will hget back to sanding.
Darrell Sykora
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Cedar and Redwood have a toxin in them which kills the bugs that want to invaded then , you are suffering from an overdose of that by sanding them and breathing the dust.

I have warned folks about that on my web site and thought you were aware of it , Guess Not. :cry:

To repeat myself........ When sanding , sawing or working with any of those woods make sure you have a good respirator ( Breathing mask ) on and plenty of ventilation or you will have sinus , headaches and other respiratory problems which are NO FUN.

The sap wood is full of them , yep the same wood that makes the boat look so good when it is done. :roll: :roll:

Even something as simple as carving a small figure from them and then sanding it with an Emory file ( fingernail file ) can do the same to a person , it does not take a lot of the dust to trigger an attack , just depends on the person.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Chuck thanks for posting that here. I had read that on your site and do wear a mask, but a little dust will invaribly sneak by so I am taking a hiatus from the sander until iy clears a little
Darrell Sykora