Stripped NorthWind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Stripped NorthWind

Post by Darrells »

After much delay everything is finally in order so I can start the NorthWind as a strip build. I have had the plans for so long I am surprised Matt has not shown up to repo them.
The boat was designed by JEMWATERCRAFT.com as a stitch and glue, but I asked Matt to redraw it for me as a stripper so it will be a one of a kind for now. Matt calls this boat the "Northwind" and it is based off of Verlen Kruger's "SeaWind".
I started by building a new table for the stiffback to mount on.

I will start cutting out the patterns for the boat over the next few days. I usually take about two weeks or so to get the forms cut out and build the stiffback before you ever start building the boat. This is what you get as far as plans. Each of those patterns will be cut out and glued to plywood to make the form of the boat before applying Wester red cedar strips.

To make something that will look kinda like this.

Last edited by Darrells on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Darrell Sykora
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Re: NorthWind Finally....

Post by preacher »

I really like that split table.
:wink:
Can't wait to see this baby.
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

Just read the specs on this baby . . . she is a long and wide one.
Overall Length 17'2
Max. Beam 28.5"
Height at bow/mid/stern
14 / 14.5 / 12"
Recommended total weight on board 175 - 500 lbs
Estimated weight* 50 - 65 lbs.

WOW, can't wait to see this one . . .
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Darrells »

I used a stiffback when I built the Freedom, But I am wondering what the advantages/disadvantages there is between building another stiffback or mounting the stations directly to the table?
On another note I was in Home Depot earlier and they had some very nice cedar. I picked up Four 3/4x8x12 and two 3/4x8x8 that are completely clear of any knots.
Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Got a little done this evening. Laid out the one foot marks and pulled a straight line.

Made up a few stations that the forms will mount on.

Mounted the stations on the table.

Then pulled some more string lines to make sure everything is straight and level.

Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Re: Stripped NorthWind Finally....

Post by Darrells »

No more progress till Monday. Deer season opens in the Morning and i am about head out.
Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Got a little more done to the Brazos Cruiser tonight. Started cutting the patterns for the forms out.

I am using 1/2 inch Birch plywood for the forms on this boat. Gluing the patterns down with Super 77 Spray Adhesive.

Boy, I sure am glad there is not one more form on this boat or it would have been tough to fit it on one piece of plywood. :wink:

Rough cutting and sanding the forms.

Getting the bow and stations 1 and two set in place. Only 14 more to go. Then I can start putting the strips on. :D

Darrell Sykora
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Darrell gave me a call last night and said "Um.... Matt. There's no station #3 in the pattern set."

My heart jumped in my throat as I looked through the drawing file. Sure enough, no #3 form. Cursing, swearing, blood pressure up, I quickly send #3 off to get printer so I can mail to Darrell. Apologize over and over to Darrell.

So I go to update the master drawing. Slide #3 in where it's supposed to be and..... what the? It's an exact match with #6. That can't be right.... but it is..... wait! There's two #6 stations!

It was a mislabel. Everything was there after all. :shock: :lol:

Yikes! That was a moment to remember.
-Matt. Designer.
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

I never thought to look for a double number.
Darrell Sykora
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

That all makes this statement ......
Darrells wrote:Boy, I sure am glad there is not one more form on this boat or it would have been tough to fit it on one piece of plywood. :wink:
....slightly amusing :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't spend too much time hunting Darrell - after seeing your Freedom stripper I think we're all keen to get a view of this one on the water.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.