Stripped NorthWind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Stripped NorthWind

Post by Darrells »

Got home today and a package was waiting on me. My bungee material finally arrived. The red is for this boat.

Put some temporary braces back in the boat. They tend to kinda roll up without any braces in them.

I finished sanding the deck last night and layed the fiberglass this morning before I went to work. I put the final two fill coats on the deck this evening.

And last but not least I stripped the two bulk heads. Tomorrow I will cut them out, sand and fiberglass them. I am shooting to join the hull and deck Weds. night.

I am ready for a break in the heat. It was 107* in my shop this afternoon and still 90* at 10:30.

Darrell Sykora
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Why does the boat building urge only hit when is freezing cold or boiling hot? I guess because we're outside doing other things when it's nice out. :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Darrells »

Did'nt get much done today. Really all I accomplished is fiberglassing the bulkheads.

I layed the deck on the boat to get it out of the way for a while. It's not centered or anything but I sure do like the way it is going to look when finished.

Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

We got off a little early today and decided it was time to install the deck permantely. I didn't take any pics last night, but I did tack the bulkheads in place.

Before my men left to go home I asked them to help help me get the Goopy (epoxy & wood flour) glue on the sheer strip. In this heat it does not take long for the epoxy to "go off" on you, so some help was nice. We got the goopy on and set the deck in place without any problems. There were a couple of places along the boat that did not want to cooperate but a tie-down strap fixed that. I love the look of this boat. It won't be long and it will be time to make her shinny.

Epoxy should set pretty quick today.

Darrell Sykora
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

Your helper looks a bit thirsty there Darrell - must be from all that hard work on those bulkheads

...and that boat's hotter than the thermometer.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

She's been my shadow/helper for thirteen years. She's getting old and this heat is hard on her. :( She spends a lot of time soaking in her kiddie pool.
Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Got out to the shop this afternoon and gave the boat a light sanding and them wiped it down with acetone. It sure is ugly at this point.

I layed out a tape line on the hull so the seam will be nice and straight to make it easier to blend the layers together. I have about three inches of overlap on each side to strengthen the deck joint.

I rolled out the glass on the boat and wouldn't you know it was six feet too short. I did some trimming and have enough to finish the narrow sections of the deck. I'll have some seams to blend but it won't be too much trouble.

It looks pretty good with fiberglass on it. It is still early enough I may still get one more coat of epoxy on it later tonight.
Darrell Sykora
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

She is a beautiful boat Darrel. I love the contrast between the two types of wood.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Can't wait to see this baby on the water!
-Matt. Designer.
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Me neither! My employees and I were having a beer in the shop Friday afternoon and they asked if I was going to take it for a test paddle. I said nope, not until it is completely finished all the way down to varnish and rigging because if paddles as well as I believe it will I'll probably never finish it.
Darrell Sykora