Stripped NorthWind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Stripped NorthWind

Post by Darrells »

Matt, A couple of questions. Where is the center of floation on this boat. Given that the Freedom's cruise speed is 3.72mph where do you think this boat will cruise being two feet longer and a rounder hull.
Darrell Sykora
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

I'm on the road and won't have the ability to calculate the centerline number for a few days. But it should be about 8" aft of the middle station. Going by memory but I believe it's 8.

Getting over 4mph would not suprise me at all. It is a very efficient hull form in all aspects.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Will it be the same as my Northwind?
Ron
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

It's not an exact copy because of the style of build. Stitch and glue has some limitations. But it will be close.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

]106" aft of the very front tip.[/quote]
This is mine that you gave me.
Ron
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

should be the same but I don't want to 100% promise that. I should have a more specific answer tomorrow night.
-Matt. Designer.
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Well I took a deep breath and took a saw to her today. Both hatches are cut. All I need to do now is install the lip around both of them.

Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Graphite impregnated epoxy serves two purposes. The first is it is a visual wear indicator ,when you can see the wood thru it it is time to recoat before you have damage to the fiberglass and the second is once it is scuffed up just a little it is as slick as snot. I went back out to the shop tonight and put the first of two coats on.

Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Got a little more done this evening.

Rails for seat are tacked in place.

Cut the spacers for the front and rear hatch. Tomorrow I will cut and install the lip that the hatch covers sit on.

Darrell Sykora
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

3" forward of station 9
-Matt. Designer.