Stripped NorthWind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Stripped NorthWind Finally....

Post by Darrells »

I wasn't going to say anything about the missing form. That comment about one more not fitting was an inside comment to Matt. :lol:
Darrell Sykora
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Darrells wrote:I wasn't going to say anything about the missing form. That comment about one more not fitting was an inside comment to Matt. :lol:
For all who don't get it: Because it was just a simple mislabel, it wasn't "missing". If it was missing, Darrell would have had to cut into another piece of ply.

Man that would have been bad on my part! :oops:
-Matt. Designer.
Darrells
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Darrells »

Got a little more done to the NorthWind tonight. I finished making the stations for the forms to mount on.

Layed all of the pieces in the place to make sure I have everything in it's proper spot.

Pulled another string line down the center and started fastening forms down.

Got all of the forms mounted and just need to do a little tweeking before starting to install strips.

I have not even put the first strip on this boat, but I am already loving her lines.

I am trying to get all that i can done before Nov.29 because I have Knee surgery again and will be laid up for a couple of weeks. Same knee and same problem that I had fixed on Oct.30 of last year.
Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Re: Stripped NorthWind 11/10 update

Post by Darrells »

This boat seems to be going well. I got started putting some strips on tonight. I am using Western Red Cedar on this one and I really like the way it cuts and sands.

With first strip being the most important I must have messed with them for over an hour on each side before I was happy with them. After those are placed just right it is really pretty easy from there.

Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Back from a hunting trip. Time to get busy again.
Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Time for a little update. Sometimes the way you visualize something and the way it looks while doing it are totally different. That is where I have been for the last couple of days. I was using Western Red Cedar on this boat and I could not find any lumber long enough to run the length of the boat, So I was having to make joints. I was not crazy about the idea of seeing a bunch of joints on this boat to begin with and the more strips I put on the less I liked it. Today i made the decision to tear all of the strips off and start over. I went by RedWoods Inc. here in Waco and talked to Greg about what he had that I could use. He could order me A grade Cedar at the length I wanted but it was pretty expensive, but he did have some A Grade Redwood in the lengths that i wanted that were actually cheaper. So I am going to have another RedWood boat. :D

Here is where I was at today.

Here is where I was at about five minutes later.

I already like the RedWood better.

Added a couple of highlight strips this time also.

Back on track now so maybe I will have pics of progress to postg.
Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Re: Stripped NorthWind 11/18 update

Post by Darrells »

As mentioned in the last update I tore all the strips off and started over. I was messing around this afternoon and decided to see just how strong the joints and TiteBond II really are. They are pretty strong.

As always my helper was present.

Got a few more strips layed tonight.

At this point in time the bow and stern strips just run wild. I will trim them to length later.

Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Re: Stripped NorthWind 11/21 update

Post by Darrells »

Didn't get as far as I was hoping to this weekend (I turned 40 on Sat and my Daughter turned 16 today), but it is getting there. Everything is going good with no problems so far. The stern has a pretty good twist right at the end and you have to work with the strips a little to get them placed right, but no big deal.

From the Bow. I need to put 3 more strips on the left and two more on the right. Then I will start running down the middle for awhile and things should speed up then.

From the stern

Sides

This is the glue that I use. Once wood is glued up it will tear wood instead of the glue joint breaking.

Fiberglass and epoxy has arrived from US Composites.

Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Made pretty good progress this evening. As I said yesterday I got to the point in laying the strips that I could turn and run down the center of the boat. Makes it easier to make some progress as you don't have the twists of the hull to contend with.

Hit one small spot just a little with a sander to see how she was going to clean up. Gonna be just fine.

Also started doing some initial shaping on the Bow in preperation for building the stems.

Darrell Sykora
Darrells

Post by Darrells »

Just a quick update on the boat. I did not make any progress on the boat over the long weekend, my wifes little Brother passed away unexpectedly Friday. he was only 33 years old so please say a Prayer for the family.
Thanks,
Darrell
Darrell Sykora