olsnappa's Laker 14

Builder show and discuss their progress.
olsnappa
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

olsnappa's Laker 14

Post by olsnappa »

Hey Matt......I just put through an order for the Laker 14 plans... :D :D (Teehee) :D :D
John.
1 Cape Fear Sit In....a couple more planned
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

"People who don't make mistakes don't make anything"
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: olsnappa's Laker 14

Post by jem »

got it! :D
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Whoooaaa!!!

Go you good thang!! :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Plans arrived today..... :D :D
Hope to start lofting and cutting in the next few of weeks..... :D :D :D
For now I have some plan studying to do...... :D :D :D :D
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

There seems to be a theme running through some of the posts lately.......extreme heat here in Oz or very cold on the other side of the globe........
As for me. My plan was to start work on the Laker last week but with temperatures here in Melbourne of between 41C (105 F) :shock: and 45 C (113 F) :shock: :shock: through the day and overnight temps as high as around 32 C (90 F ) :shock: :shock: :shock: I feel like a slug on tranquilisers.........so no progress.
Hopefully conditions will be better this week so maybe a start will be made. :) :)
I start a couple of weeks leave today too, so am also hoping to get out for a paddle with the CF
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

As with most of my projects.......planned start times get knocked around by other priorities and I'm only now starting the Laker........about a month later than intended.
However the delay has had its benefits....in a way.
Since finishing the Cape Fear, I've had a fair bit of interest from family and friends wanting a kayak. I've shown them all Matt's designs and after a bit of discussion about what they're expectations are from a kayak of their own, have settled on the Laker as fitting the bill......Micks review clinched the deal, highlighting as it does the versatility of the Laker as a great first kayak suitable for general recreational, quiet water paddle and fishing.
So here's the rub!!.... I've now committed to building not 1 but 3 (possibly 4) Laker 14's......
One for me and then one for a friends husband (and maybe a mate if his) and one for my brother....... :shock: :? :D
I hasten to add that I've given no firm commitment to how soon I'll get them done..... But I hope to get a fair run on with them after building mine.....
I won't be making a financial profit from these builds.....charging only the cost of materials for each one.....and maybe a couple of beers on launch day..... :D
I've discussed with Matt the royalties owed to him for each build and will be forwarding those to him shortly.
So in light of the changed circumstances, I've spent this weekend cutting out MDF templates of each of the Lakers panels. These to be used for all of them.
I'll use this thread for all 3 or 4 Lakers......but won't be going into a lot of detail of each build obviously. Just a outline of the first build and updates on the subsequent ones.....and any highlights..or problems along the way.
Last edited by olsnappa on Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Once you've built one of Matts boats its bloody hard not to build another with all those tricks you learnt from the first :wink: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Good luck with your production line......... templates is definatly the way to go 8) :lol:

I'm progressing with SWMBO's Wadefish and am astounded again with the accuracy of Matts setouts when you go to stitch togther :shock: :lol:

Cheers Paul
olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Thanks Paul...... Yeah, I'm really looking forward to completing the fleet!! :D :D :D
And then moving on to......Oh, I dont know........Okwata......Wadefish......12ft CF...Mini Skiff......Pirogue TV.......Southwind.........Sobalo :lol: :lol:
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

olsnappa

Post by olsnappa »

Ok......I just thought I'd post an update on my Laker 14 fleet so you know I haven't fallen asleep on the job. :D
First Laker stitched up (almost) and on the frame.
On the table below it are panels for Laker's two and three...
And below them on the floor.....lots of off cut scraps.......Hmmm.... I think the shed's due for a tidy up. :oops:
John.
2 Laker 14's
1 Paddle board

Bemm 52

Post by Bemm 52 »

Sheds situation normal I think for a builders yard :lol: :lol:

Like your square tubing idea to get boat of the table :idea: