MAKO Tandem

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

MAKO Tandem

Post by tx river rat »

Matt sent me part of the plans for this boat, so Monday off to start buying wood .
The T-V will have to make it a while longer and a couple more boats will be put on hold , this one is going to the top off the list.
Specs
19 ft 10 inches
30 inch Max beam
asymmetrical
2 1/2 inch rocker bow
1 1/2 stern
Short decks and a big open cockpit
shooting for 60 lbs max.
I am plenty excited about this boat
Ron
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: MAKO Tandem

Post by hairymick »

Yeah Ron, So am I :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Went and shopped for wood today and bought enough for the Mako .
The bottom hull will be 1 1/2 inch strips and the decks will be 3/4
Should have a little wood left over ,118.00 worth Of cedar not bad for this big a boat.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Bought a 13 inch planer , it should really cut down on the sanding on this strip stitch and glue type hull.
Ron
craiggamesh

Post by craiggamesh »

Bought a 13 inch planer , it should really cut down on the sanding on this strip stitch and glue type hull.
Ron
It sure does! I really like mine. I was able to glue up all the panels for my Okwata then run them through the planer. I just used a little 150 grit to make them nice and smooth before glassing the inside of the panels prior to stitching. I think the only boats where this may not work are the flat bottom ones. Other than that, I think most of Matt's boats have panels less than 13" wide.

I can't wait to see you get this one done. I'm very interested in what you have in mind for the open cockpit. Seems like a great idea for making a fast efficient boat that I can get my two boys in with me.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I have been reminded they call these divorce boats :D
I think the long length will help this a lot. I am also hoping I can handle this boat solo. Tandem it should be fast and stable ,it is basically a t -v 20 ft long.
If it does 1/2 of what I think it will ,I will be very pleased.
Ron
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Ron.......

When you get this one done .............
Take your better half with you on a paddling trip down the Brazos, her artistic abilities will get kicked into high gear. Make sure you or she will take a lot of pictures so she has a reference to work off of. Better if she takes the pictures while you paddle down the river.
Then make the clincher , one of your Frito Tacos ( Texas style ) on the river bank. :D They do sooth a person really quick and makes them want to be there again. I call them Ron's secret weapon for paddling. :wink:

Chuck.........
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Matt
Where would the center of buoyancy be for a single paddler on this boat?
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

9" aft of Frame 3.
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Matt Will a center brace be enough on this build are do I need 2 ?
Ron