SS@G Northwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

SS@G Northwind

Post by tx river rat »

After looking at Darrels boat today I am going to put a couple other boats on hold and build a ss@g Northwind . It should be pretty neat to paddle them side by side and see how they compare , Both are take offs of the Seawind that Verlan Kruger designed.
:shock: HERE WE GO AGAIN
Ron
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Re: SS@G Northwind

Post by rodot »

I wish you all the best for this build and will follow it's progress with great interest.

I have been on the lookout for some decent quality gaboon ply to build my Northwind and have considered ss@g, but with the amount of panels on this boat, it looks like an awful lot of hard work. Hope you can keep us posted with lots of piccies.

Roger.
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Cut some strips and laid out a couple panels today

Sure feels good to be making sawdust again
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Rodot
After using ply and then this method the only ply I will buy will be for forms.
Got a couple more panels done today ,thats 4 out of 12 for the hull.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

9 out of twelve panels done.
I was getting sort of grumpy about how long I have been working on these panels and then realized at 9 panels thats 3 perow hulls I have laid out :shock:
I sure do like the wood I picked up .
Ron
rhutchinson
Type of boat I like: Kayaks and Canoes.

Post by rhutchinson »

Reading between the lines a little, does this mean you won't be tackling Morton's 40' tug boat any time soon? :lol: :lol:

Richard
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap !!!
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I think I have built my biggest boat already , was a 8 ft wide bye 24 ft long alum airboat with a 625 horse motor.
Well I have 10 done as of tonight.
Ron
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

I was getting sort of grumpy about how long I have been working on these panels and then realized at 9 panels thats 3 perow hulls I have laid out
Thats pretty good progress Ron. Just think that if you were using plywood, you would have to cut out 36 panels and then start butt jioning them together.

Cheers Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

YEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 12 panels done.
Now to cutting out some forms.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Got all my forms marked and cut ,all the panels run through the planer
It is going to start looking like a boat shortly.
I love the planer it has saved me at least 2 days worth of sanding and does a slicker job.
Ron
Now the fun part starts