SS@G Northwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: SS@G Northwind

Post by tx river rat »

Between laying out my shop and trying to get some done on this boat I havent posted to many pics.
Well here is a few.
Bulkheads built glassed and fileted in

started gluing the shear strips. That sure does start shaping the boat up.

Here is a close up of the seams , they still need a little sanding

same area wet down with water

and backed up to show some of the color of this boat.

After a saturation coat I will go back and match the color of the different areas filling in the stitch holes.

Thats it for now.
Ron
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Nice!!
-Matt. Designer.
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Sorry Matt for changing your decks :oops: I already had it cut when you said some thing.

I had a pretty good day on the Northwind today.
Got my decks layed out ,glued up and planed . Have them tacked down and rough cut.

These are the dropped nose balanced de3cks I like.

she is really starting to shape up

she came out with about the look I wanted

Thats all for now.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Got the decks pulled and the back side glassed
block glued in nose and stern
tabs on bulkheads glued on
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

I got to wet the whole hull down today and I sure like her looks and lines.
Like Darrel says wetting her down all the way gives you and i deal of how she will look.

Be a few days before I can get back on her.
Ron
Hull is still light :D
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

The stripped panels really make a difference to this design. This plus the way the panels are joined without visible filler makes it hard to tell it is SSG as opposed to a straight out strip build.

Job well done Ron! 8)
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
Wannabe

Post by Wannabe »

Ya'll check out all the boat building wood nailed upright on those 2x4s in the back of Ron's yard. How many boats would that build? :wink:
Bob
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

:D :D :D
:twisted:
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Well I have been stomping cussing and throwing a fit because its been to cold for the epoxy to set right and so much pollen in the air that if you had wet epoxy outside it would look like a green wooly worm in about 15 min.
Got off my backside and built a boat tunnel untill I can get my shop built. the plastic catches more heat so the epoxy worked really well today.
I put the Northwind in the tunnel and gave her a coat of epoxy to seal everything and have the color so I can start matching and filling the holes for the stitches.

Epoxy sure brings out the colors.
Ron
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Precoat on
Got holes filled and the hull sanded again , be ready for glass and cloth shortly

Ron