SS@G Northwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
makenmend
Type of boat I like: kayak canoe

Re: SS@G Northwind

Post by makenmend »

Quote "I love the planer it has saved me at least 2 days worth of sanding and does a slicker job."
With 12 panels. it would have taken me more tham 2 days, :roll: I expect by now you have boat taking shape,always a kick for me this stage.

MM
Whirly
Type of boat I like: 18-36 Trapper

Post by Whirly »

G'Day Ron, Looking forward to seeing the photos of this one going together. Should be a very classy looking craft
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Got to play with the boat a little today all the forms set and half the panels stitched on , so far I sure like the way it is turning out.
Ron
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

MM
Yep been off for a few days .
Got her stitched up ,ends pulled and glued , part of the tacking done .
I sure like the lines of this boat

The ends were a pain to line up. After I got them lined up I ran a small end pour inside to hold them

I think the pine and some of the sap wood I used will look good

Ron
Whirly

Post by Whirly »

Ah, visual stuff, marvelous! She's looking real nice Ron. What sort of timber have you used? Looks pretty shmick with those fading white sections. Gonna be a Classy Lady...........
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Using ceder and white pine.
I had the white sap wood showing on some pieces so just book marked it and put it at both ends.
Ron
Whirly

Post by Whirly »

Ahh, savvy now. Great effect. Have no idea what SS@G stands for :oops: but it sure makes for a good looking boat :D
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Strip panels glued to shape , then stitch and glued together
Basically a hard chined striper.
He looks good and is cheap :D This plan calls for 5 sheets of marine ply around here that is at least 60.00 a sheet.
I bought the cedar and pine for around what one sheet would cost.
60.00 against 300.00
Ron
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Whirly wrote:Ahh, savvy now. Great effect. Have no idea what SS@G stands for :oops: but it sure makes for a good looking boat :D
It is Strip , Stitch and Glue....Make the individual panels from striped wood as you would do when building a stripper boat but without the frame , then you stitch the panels together and glue (Epoxy them ) Basically you are replacing the solid wood panels with strips of wood that make up the solid wood panels that are used to make the boat.

Something I started back in the dark ages when I made this Pirogue out of Redwood strips that my Son-in-law is now enjoying in Canada. It had never been done ( as far as I knew ) and I wanted to see if it could be done........ It Can.

The pirogue was nothing more then three sheets of straight panels which made it easy to make. 144 strips made the boat. That is because I had to use 8 foot strips at 1/4 by 3/4 inches and 8 feet long , the boat is 16 feet. Came out at 40 pounds even when glassed all the way around.

I used redwood boards ( 3 1/2 by 3/4 inches at 8 feet ) which I cut into the 1/4 thick by 3/4 wide with a band saw and the wood cost me $55.00 plus I had enough almost left over for another boat but have been using it for other needs/uses around here.

As normal things progress and leave it to Ron ( tx river rat who is always thinking :wink: ) to find a better way :D
His way is bending the strips to match the bend in the panels with the strips of wood to make a multi panel boat. The easy way to make a stripper.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
tx river rat

Post by tx river rat »

Got a little more done on her today , she sure is light .

Ron