NT Trapper

Builder show and discuss their progress.
Whirly
Type of boat I like: 18-36 Trapper

Re: NT Trapper

Post by Whirly »

G'Day Matt, will let you know how things go, should have a few panels on by later today

'morning Darrell, and I know exactly what you mean, thoughts of large Sasquatch's keep intruding....the $$$ will be an issue though (will probably end up with a pile of Matt's plans to drool over while I wait to afford more materials) as for now, one more cup of coffee and then back to the build, 'cause I neeeeed it...
Whirly

Post by Whirly »

Well it’s been a big day, and Hot- damn it was hot today. Hot and still and humid. One of those days when you know there is a really big mother of a storm somewhere over the horizon sucking everything in and leaving you gasping. Just what one needs for spending a day in the ‘Workshop’. Ah well, as a famous Bushranger once said “Such is life”

Headed over to the verandah/workshop and got stuck-in.
Number 2 panels going on.

Matt, the mystery of the 8mm and No. 2 remains. The panels fit spot-on

No. 2s done, now onto the frames….

Some clamps and timber strips to assist with ‘squaring’ up the frames.

Frames on and ready for No. 3 panels…..

……ok, so how am I supposed to hold this long, 5m + piece of spaghetti-like wood in place on my own????? Think for a bit….have another drink of water…did I mention it was hot?

Clamps and timber strip obviously!

No. 3 panel going on, which just leaves…..DRUM ROLL……

NUMBER 4!....but of course my little wood and clamp arrangement wouldn’t work on these buggers, so resorted to a couple of straps which did the job.

The bows came up great (well actually there is a little ‘stepping’ at the other end :( , but nothing the belt-sander won’t fix :) )

…and so,
…..here she is.

I wish I knew where I put my battery drill ‘cause that bloody Makita was getting Hev-ee by the end of the day….

I Reeeealy like the shape of this beastie…..Matt you’re a genius…..

It’s beer-o’clock, actually it’s well past, so making up for lost time (nice to pick up a beer can that has beer in it instead of copper wire :D ) Back to work tomorrow, so that will slow things down a bit, with just the afternoons to do some more. Will post progress as it happens.

Cheers,
Whirly
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

G'day Whirly,
and welcome aboard mate. :D

I love the lines of this boat and you are doing a fine job so far. just a word of caution if you don't mind.
The bows came up great (well actually there is a little ‘stepping’ at the other end , but nothing the belt-sander won’t fix )
Unless you are planning on painting this boat, take the time to align the panels better. As you sand the "stepping" out, you will expose the veneer layers of your ply and it looks like hell. (been there done that) :(

What part of the Top End are you in?

Guys, Our Northern Territory or "Top End" as we call it, really has to be experienced to be believed. Places like Kakadu, Borrooloola and just so many others spring to mind and get my yearning to go back there one day soon.

Whirly, you are a luck man indeed. Bloody good onya maaaaaaate,
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Whirly

Post by Whirly »

G'Day Mick,

Have really enjoyed reading your posts and looking at and learning from your builds. By the way, did we perhaps have the same wood-work teacher at school?? I have this 'thing' about leaving half a pencil line- even if ripping down a bit of scrap with a hand saw , Leave-Half-A-Pencil-Line....funny how a leather strap can shape peoples work practices....

By 'stepping', I meant there are a few mm difference in length on some panels and once sanded, glued and filleted with resin gloop (as you and Oldsparkey have done for the bows on your Sas's) I doubt there'll be anything noticeable. This'll be getting painted on the outside anyhow, but I'll keep that good advice for future reference.

Mate, I'm almost exactly (by Road) between Borroloola and Roper Bar and yes, I know I'm lucky to be living here, and get this - some crazy bastards are actually PAYING me to be here!!!

Must away to check the creeks to the south to see if the road is passable. My off-sider will be trying to come back in today, and I need to have a go at getting up to Katherine tomorrow for a couple of days of meetings.

Good Grief! -No working on the canoe for four days –Gaaaah, I can feel the withdrawal symptoms starting already…

Cheers,

Whirly
hairymick
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by hairymick »

Ahhh,

I think I know where you are mate. :D

Re the stepping, no problem. :D

In another life I was a policeman stationed at Cammooweal and often did little trips interstate :P fishing up around Massacre inlet, Bing Bong stations and such. :D

Another tip. Before you start to tack the panels, look closely at your panel splice joints. They all should line up perfectly, or very near to it.

As I approach retirement, we plan on some extended touring up that way. Really looking forward to getting back to God's country.

Carry on. :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
Whirly

Post by Whirly »

Ah, a Wolloper aye? and a Queensland Wolloper at that! Yeah, me too - only I was a 'Territory one, for a very short time, way back when.

Mate, when everyday becomes Sunday, and you're thinking of travelling, get in touch. If I'm still here you're more than welcome to stay. If you look at my 'Workshop' you'll notice we have some accommodation available, (you may have to climb through stacks of boat building material to get to a room) and if I'm not here, it's still a great place to visit.

Thanks for the advice, always appreciated

Cheers,

Whirly
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Whirly wrote:G'Day Mick,

Must away to check the creeks to the south to see if the road is passable. My off-sider will be trying to come back in today, and I need to have a go at getting up to Katherine tomorrow for a couple of days of meetings.

Good Grief! -No working on the canoe for four days –Gaaaah, I can feel the withdrawal symptoms starting already…

Cheers,

Whirly
YEP.... YES SIR...Ya Bet-ya ... He is Hooked , Hook , Line and Sinker on building wood boats. :lol: They are like potato chips , just one will not do it , you want a hand full. :D

Just think , the best part is yet to come and that is the day you drop it in the wet stuff , hop aboard and take that 1st stroke with the paddle.

Chuck.
PS. She is looking good and will be a beauty when completed.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
Whirly

Post by Whirly »

Thanks Chuck,

yeah, this boat building caper sure does give a person a good feeling, turning flat sheets of wood into something as beautiful as the finished products seen on this forum.

I'm looking forward to getting this big baby wet, and have just the place a few kilometres down the road.

Oh, and the pressure is off, won't be going to town- road is flooded (Official I'll-be-missing-the-meetings face :( , Personal I-can-keep-building face :lol: ) I had to swim a winch cable across a creek so we could make a tight-rope to pull a boat back and forth to get to get Marcus (the other Ranger), his Missus, their shopping, work supplies and 12 live chooks across. Will go back and get the other vehicle when the creek goes down.

.....and now I have someone here to help me turn the canoe over! :D There were already plans formulating, involving frames and slings and and pulleys such so I could safely flip the Trapper on my lonesome- now, no need....

Cheers,

Whirly
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

Whirly wrote:
Oh, and the pressure is off, won't be going to town- road is flooded (Official I'll-be-missing-the-meetings face :( , Personal I-can-keep-building face :lol: ) I had to swim a winch cable across a creek so we could make a tight-rope to pull a boat back and forth to get to get Marcus (the other Ranger), his Missus, their shopping, work supplies and 12 live chooks across. Will go back and get the other vehicle when the creek goes down.

Cheers,

Whirly
You are doing what I like to say........ Take a negative and turn it into a positive. I'll back out of your thread so we can see the progress that is made while you are stranded on your side of the creek.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
ColCollyer
Type of boat I like: trapper

Post by ColCollyer »

Hey Whirly( got to be a story there ?)
It looks like your hooked.
I only have 3 comments
1/ Listen to Mick and Chuck.
2/ Enjoy the Building trip, it's a great journey