Stalker Square Back

Builder show and discuss their progress.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Stalker Square Back

Post by surfman »

Ok, Matt and I (Matt mostly) worked on a custom design for a paddle/pole/square back canoe. Some of you may remember Matt posted a thread for suggestions from the peanut gallery. viewtopic.php?t=409 Thanks guys, by the way. Anyway, we finalized the design and Matt sent me the plans. I got them a while ago, hurray; unfortunately my wife got laid off from work at about the same time, booo. And she wants to take a little time off before she gets another job, what’s up with that? Well it won’t kill me but, it definitely puts a damper on extraneous expenses like building a canoe, even though that isn’t that expensive really.

Anyway, the new canoe was named the Stalker. I like that name. I recently went ahead and purchased some plywood. I decided to go with the Luan. Why, because it is cheap and I am now on a budget. The problem of course with cheap wood is that it will require more work from me like filling in the voids. Fortunately, the voids aren’t huge but, they run in long skinny rays which isn’t too bad unless you are cutting the plywood into narrow strips which, of course, I will be doing.

This week end I will try to clear off my car port so that I can start laying out the wood and maybe cutting it too. Thanks Matt for the plans, I will post pictures of my progress but I have a feeling it will be slow, at least at first anyway. I already have a few ideas of things I want to do but we will see how it comes along. The nice thing about a custom made plywood boat is I can always add things later if I think of something new to add.

The main purpose for this boat will be fishing in skinny water. I also wanted a boat I could put in the back of a PU truck and attach an electric motor to and I could stand in to pole as well. I may eventually abandon one mode of motivation either the pole or the paddle but for now I intend to use them both we will see how it works out.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Great!

I'm alomst ready to publish those plans.
-Matt. Designer.
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

No building going on yet so maybe I should have posted this somewhere else, so if you want to move it that is okay. Hopefully I will have some pictures soon.
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Close enough right here.
-Matt. Designer.
hairymick
Design Reviewer

Post by hairymick »

Heya Surfman,

Good luck mate. I am real interested in a boat like this. looking forward to yourposts and progress piccies. :D :D
Regards,
Mick

JEMWATERCRAFT Swampgirl; Wadefish;Touring Pirogue;South Wind; P5 ;
Laker X 2, Sasquatch 16.5 T-V 15 Okwata 15:
Cobia 15 (under construction)
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

hairymick wrote:Heya Surfman,

Good luck mate. I am real interested in a boat like this. looking forward to yourposts and progress piccies. :D :D
Mick you're such a junkie. You're interested in EVERY boat! :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

jem wrote:
hairymick wrote:Heya Surfman,

Mick you're such a junkie. You're interested in EVERY boat! :lol:
Matt..

That is because he doesn't have enough boats, Heck, no one ever has enough boats. There is always room for one more. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
surfman

Post by surfman »

Well I have a old fiberglass canoe, a inexpensive sit inside kayak, a 14' aluminum jon boat, and an old rebuilt 19' CC open fisherman. My wife says that is enough but, I still need one more. Just one more. Plus I just have an itch to build something.
dangermouse01

Post by dangermouse01 »

Is this enough boats? Ignore the messy garage.
From top to bottom, right to left:
Perception Sole' 14 foot
Perception Avitar 16 foot
First built kayak 16 foot
Pyranha White water (orange)
Eskimo ZWO white water (red)
Mohawk canoe
Dagger ID white water (on trailer under canoe)
Dagger GT white water (on trailer under canoe)
Dagger RPM white water (blue)
Second built kayak 18 foot (almost ready to varnish it)

Actually the canoe, and the three WW boats in front I was just storing for some buddies. And they are now back at their own houses.
I have since added a Hobie Outback SUV w/mirage drive, and yes there is room for a JEM Wadefish 15.

DM
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

dangermouse01

Mick has enough boats at his place that people think it is a marina. NOW ....I should not be one to talk :roll:

1. Pygmy Coho kayak ,17 1/2 feet. (wood)
2. A Peterborough canoe ,15 1/2 feet (wood)
3. A JEM Watercraft,Swamp Girl 15 1/2 feet 40 pounds (wood)
4 A Uncle Johns Pirogue , 15 1/2 feet at 32 pounds (wood)
5 Same thing but at 50 pounds (wood)
6. Same thing but out of redwood strips (144 of them) and at 40 pounds , 16 feet 1 inch
7. Sold my two fiberglass canoes (Mohawks) they got in the way.
8. Sold the Pirogue at 17 1/2 feet and 40 pounds , a friend wanted it.
9. Still working on the idea of a small air boat. I have the cage and whole drive unit , everything but the sled (wood boat) .

But right now that is on hold because I'm in the process of making another wood boat which will be a sweet paddling and fast, decked over, touring and all round fun craft. It will be the 1st one of this type. If I ever get it done. This heat down here makes me run for the house around 10 or 10:30.am. :evil:

By the way it looks like you need more clamps (top of the picture)

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler