JEM Watercraft

JEM Watercraft

Customer Service Forum
Direct Links To: Canoe Plans  --  Kayak Plans  --  Other Plans

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Roger's s&g northwind
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:46 pm 

It's finished :D :D :D :D :D :D

Finished with the hatch, rudder etc at about 7pm last night and I thought I showed great patience in waiting untill 6am this morning to take it for it's maiden voyage up the Wagonga Inlet.

The water was smooth with only a very slight breeze so I was unable to give it a real tryout, but in these conditions the Northwind performed beautifully. It tracked very true, turned easily without the rudder and was an absolute lady. I tried it with both a double bladed and a single bladed paddle and found their was not a lot of difference in performance with either. Perhaps a tad faster with the double paddle but a bit quieter with the single. I thought it was great being able to use a single paddle wihout having to do a J stroke. With a very relaxed 10 kilometres I averaged an easy 6.5 KPH .
The seat is about 8 1/2 inches high and the boat amazed me with it's stability. This I think will be a good height for rivers and protected waterways. However, for peace of mind' I will make up another seat about 3 or 4 inches lower to use in the more exposed lakes and bays. In these locations where I have witnessed rapid deteriation in conditions I would feel a lot more secure with maximum stability.
Matt, I love this boat.

Roger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:35 am 

Very nice Roger.
Leave and return in the dark, otherwise you might spent a long time talking about it at the launching site

Cheers Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:35 am 
Site Admin

Wow!

Get a good lock for that one.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:16 am 

rodot wrote:
It's finished :D :D :D :D :D :D

Finished with the hatch, rudder etc at about 7pm last night and I thought I showed great patience in waiting untill 6am this morning to take it for it's maiden voyage up the Wagonga Inlet.

The water was smooth with only a very slight breeze so I was unable to give it a real tryout, but in these conditions the Northwind performed beautifully. It tracked very true, turned easily without the rudder and was an absolute lady. I tried it with both a double bladed and a single bladed paddle and found their was not a lot of difference in performance with either. Perhaps a tad faster with the double paddle but a bit quieter with the single. I thought it was great being able to use a single paddle wihout having to do a J stroke. With a very relaxed 10 kilometres I averaged an easy 6.5 KPH .
The seat is about 8 1/2 inches high and the boat amazed me with it's stability. This I think will be a good height for rivers and protected waterways. However, for peace of mind' I will make up another seat about 3 or 4 inches lower to use in the more exposed lakes and bays. In these locations where I have witnessed rapid deteriation in conditions I would feel a lot more secure with maximum stability.
Matt, I love this boat.

Roger

great job Roger ,at least you can try it out when you are finished .When I get mine done we will have to wait til spring .We had our first snow fall yesterday only an inch or so but still have to wait. Happy paddling!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:53 am 

Wow :!:

She is a beauty. I really wish people would stop raving about the Northwinds, I am so easily influenced as it is.

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:30 am 

Earvin wrote:
Wow :!:

She is a beauty. I really wish people would stop raving about the Northwinds, I am so easily influenced as it is.

I agree...............excellent job Rodot

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6