Roger's s&g northwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Re: Roger's s&g northwind

Post by rodot »

It's finished :D :D :D :D :D :D

Finished with the hatch, rudder etc at about 7pm last night and I thought I showed great patience in waiting untill 6am this morning to take it for it's maiden voyage up the Wagonga Inlet.

The water was smooth with only a very slight breeze so I was unable to give it a real tryout, but in these conditions the Northwind performed beautifully. It tracked very true, turned easily without the rudder and was an absolute lady. I tried it with both a double bladed and a single bladed paddle and found their was not a lot of difference in performance with either. Perhaps a tad faster with the double paddle but a bit quieter with the single. I thought it was great being able to use a single paddle wihout having to do a J stroke. With a very relaxed 10 kilometres I averaged an easy 6.5 KPH .
The seat is about 8 1/2 inches high and the boat amazed me with it's stability. This I think will be a good height for rivers and protected waterways. However, for peace of mind' I will make up another seat about 3 or 4 inches lower to use in the more exposed lakes and bays. In these locations where I have witnessed rapid deteriation in conditions I would feel a lot more secure with maximum stability.
Matt, I love this boat.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Manjimike »

Very nice Roger.
Leave and return in the dark, otherwise you might spent a long time talking about it at the launching site

Cheers Mike
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Wow!

Get a good lock for that one.
-Matt. Designer.
toolman
Type of boat I like: the Laker freedom strip

Post by toolman »

rodot wrote:It's finished :D :D :D :D :D :D

Finished with the hatch, rudder etc at about 7pm last night and I thought I showed great patience in waiting untill 6am this morning to take it for it's maiden voyage up the Wagonga Inlet.

The water was smooth with only a very slight breeze so I was unable to give it a real tryout, but in these conditions the Northwind performed beautifully. It tracked very true, turned easily without the rudder and was an absolute lady. I tried it with both a double bladed and a single bladed paddle and found their was not a lot of difference in performance with either. Perhaps a tad faster with the double paddle but a bit quieter with the single. I thought it was great being able to use a single paddle wihout having to do a J stroke. With a very relaxed 10 kilometres I averaged an easy 6.5 KPH .
The seat is about 8 1/2 inches high and the boat amazed me with it's stability. This I think will be a good height for rivers and protected waterways. However, for peace of mind' I will make up another seat about 3 or 4 inches lower to use in the more exposed lakes and bays. In these locations where I have witnessed rapid deteriation in conditions I would feel a lot more secure with maximum stability.
Matt, I love this boat.

Roger
great job Roger ,at least you can try it out when you are finished .When I get mine done we will have to wait til spring .We had our first snow fall yesterday only an inch or so but still have to wait. Happy paddling!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Post by Earvin »

Wow :!:

She is a beauty. I really wish people would stop raving about the Northwinds, I am so easily influenced as it is.
Simon

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

Earvin wrote:Wow :!:

She is a beauty. I really wish people would stop raving about the Northwinds, I am so easily influenced as it is.
I agree...............excellent job Rodot