Roger's s&g northwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Re: Roger's s&g northwind

Post by rodot »

Took the wind out for a test run. You weren't kidding Ron. This is one helluva boat. I used a makeshift seat utilizing old lifejackects etc and although the seat was a bit wobbly I was able to try a number of seating positions and hieghts. In actual fact the boat is very tolerant and sitting towards the rear seemed to have very little effect. It glided effortlessly with a cruising speed on the GPS indicating around the 7 KPH area. I sat the wife in the front and took her for a spin around the lake. This only had a marginal effect on the performance.

I just cant wait now to finish it off properly.

Roger

PS Gee this big cockpit is great for climing in and out of when you have arthritic knees like mine.
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Roger
These boats like to be loaded heavy in the back,it sure paddles better loaded that way.
Your cruise and Darrels and mine are about the same ,between 4.25 and 4.5 mph and you can do it all day as easy as it paddles.Loade with a hundred more lbs she will paddle even better

Great job
Ron
rodot

Post by rodot »

Good a place/time as any to ask if anyone has any views on adding weight to a boat once you get it to the water??? water filled bladders, big plastic bottles. Sounds a bit counter intuitive I know but I was wondering about glide, and sitting lower in the water on a windy day.
Cheers John.
I intend to fit a removeable seat in the northwind. Adjustable on rails similar to what Ron has done. I cant see why it wouldn't be possible to fit extra wieghts under the seat. They would then be somewhere near the centre of balance of the boat. Failing that you could always take along my Missus. :P
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Those are postcard pictures!

Glad you like the boat. It's designed after what many consider to be the ultimate tripping paddle craft, the Kruger Sea Wind.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Mate that is a beautiful boat! It will be a real pleasure to take that out for a day's cruising, and if you charge for photo ops you will make your money back in no time. :lol: :lol:
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
rodot

Post by rodot »

Still plodding away on the Northwind. I've been doing all the fiddly bits. Cut out the hatch and made up and fitted the spacer and hatch support. Fitted two rails, design courtesy of TRR Ron, to support the seat, made up a seat base, fitted backing plates for the foot peddles and drilled oversize holes for all the fixtures and filled them with epoxy wood flour mix.

Swept out the shed, then blew it out with the leaf blower then vacuumed it and started with the first coat of varnish. GRRRRR still bloody dust everywhere :evil: I hate varnishing.
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Post by Earvin »

Looks good from where I sit. 8)
Simon

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Rodot that looks great ,you did a heck of a job.
Ron
Whirly
Type of boat I like: 18-36 Trapper

Post by Whirly »

Well done Mate, she looks shmick. Lovely job.
OneLastCast
Type of boat I like: Sabalo 12

Post by OneLastCast »

Awesome job Roger
Thanks for the inspiration.
Regards

Tony