Roger's s&g northwind

Builder show and discuss their progress.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Re: Roger's s&g northwind

Post by rodot »

That looks like the ideal weapon to me Bob.

Cheers Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
rodot

Post by rodot »

At the fun part of the build now. Stitching it together.
The bottom three panels done. So far so good.

All the panels stitched together and its all taking shape. Did iI ever have any doubt? :roll:

I dont know what I have done wrong. Everything has gone together too easy so far. Perhaps I should pull it apart and find out why :wink:

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Manjimike »

Looking very nice Roger.

I ended up getting this one on eBay -
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWNX:IT

Cheers Mike
rodot

Post by rodot »

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
rodot

Post by rodot »

Progress report
The boat has received a saturation coat of epoxy and is just about ready for fibreglassing. It really is a wonderful moment when you can see just what it is going to turn out like.

Using this thin ply has caused quite a lot of work. It seemed to take eons lining up all the edges of the panels only to have the occassional one slip out of place. I ended up by aligning everything as best I could and then tacking the centre three seams. This held all in place while I realined the other seams and continued to tack weld the rest of the hull.

The other problem I had was glueing the bow and stem together with the jigs in place. I had no end of trouble getting the thickened epoxy up in there. In retrospect I think I should have left the jigs 4 or 5mm proud of the bow/stem and forced the epoxy mix from the outside.

I just love the look of the lines of this boat. Its incredible to think that you can take a few flat sheets of ply and turn them into something as well rounded as this.

Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
rodot

Post by rodot »

The build of the Northwind continues.

The hull has been glassed inside and out and now is just about ready for the deck

I purchased some rudder mounts from Duckworks and mounted them to the not so pointy end. The neatest way I could think of doing it, was by cutting a slot in the hull and inserting the upper mount through the slot onto a triangular gusset glassed level with the bottom of the tumblehome panel.

Can hardly wait to start paddling but my other half has some chores lined up which will tend slow the build a bit.

Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
rodot

Post by rodot »

After a brief hiatus it's back to the Northwind build. I have taken the good advice of others and fitted some bulkheads. At the stern I have fitted a bulkhead against the deck support at no 4 frame and at the front I have made up a bulkhead and fitted it about 500 mm in front of no 2 frame. This should allow a bit of leg room should I take the occassional passenger. I fitted an inspection port to the front bulkhead. I know it will be a bit difficult to access, but at least it's there if needed and it does give me some peace of mind knowing that I can check the cavity if required. I'm not sure yet if I will bother fitting a front hatch. I cant see me needing it

[img]http://i874.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

I'll now get to work and refit the frames and start on the deck and coamings.
DSC01456[/url]
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
rodot

Post by rodot »

I've now jioned the two deck panels with epoxy woodflour mix and taped temporarily to the hull.

The srarboard inner coaming stitched in place

The inner coamings fitted and "tack welded".

For some reason the coamings ended up about half an inch outside the forms but it didn't seem to cause any problems. Everything else lines up spot on.

With a bit of luck I should be able to start on the outer coamings tomorrow.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Roger
That is looking great ,you are building an awesome boat.
Ron
rodot

Post by rodot »

Today I glued the outer coaming panels to the inner.

This is like my old army days. Hurry up and wait. You do a little bit and then have to sit on yer bum untill you're able to start the next job. It must be great to have patience.
Next I will have to fair in the join between the coaming and deck and then run some fibreglass tape around the seam prior to inverting the deck and fibreglassing the under side. I hope the seams all hold together while I turn the deck over.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico