Aperturestop's Okwata build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
aperturestop
Type of boat I like: Okwata 15-26

Re: Aperturestop's Okwata build

Post by aperturestop »

Thanks everyone for your input. i see that it is probably just a matter of preference. I think ill just epoxy them in. I too am not taking this boat on anything other than lakes so I don't forsee any rough water or boulders.
My little girl got sick yesterday so purchasing of wood has been put off until this weekend.
I will follow suit with the other great build logs on here and post my progress.
Jeremiah
J.R. Coffey Photography

If it looks good, Shoot it.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

I stand corrected then John. Might have something to do with the type of silicone you use. Some silicones may adhere to epoxy better than others. I did find that when I was building a perspex box once. I used one type that started coming loose pretty quick, but when I used another which was marine grade it held much better. Still, it wasn't anywhere near as strong as epoxy.

I intend to install one of the 'temp' bulkheads on my Sabalo permanently to create a separate storage cavity, and I will definitely be epoxying that one in. I will be using it as a support for a mast step, and need it to be as strong as possible.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
craiggamesh
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by craiggamesh »

goanywhere wrote:I stand corrected then John. Might have something to do with the type of silicone you use. Some silicones may adhere to epoxy better than others. I did find that when I was building a perspex box once. I used one type that started coming loose pretty quick, but when I used another which was marine grade it held much better. Still, it wasn't anywhere near as strong as epoxy.

I intend to install one of the 'temp' bulkheads on my Sabalo permanently to create a separate storage cavity, and I will definitely be epoxying that one in. I will be using it as a support for a mast step, and need it to be as strong as possible.

I use the exterior stuff (made by GE and available at Home Depot) that is used around windows. I installed my bulkheads 5 years ago and there is no sign of deterioration. I used it on my Sabalo around the perimeter of all plastic hatches and rod holders. It's under the plastic and not exposed to UV. As I said before, I now prefer to epoxy the bulkheads. However, I thought I would at least recommend that particular brand of silicone if anyone else is looking for a brand that bonds well to plastic and epoxy for hatches and rod holders.
Regards,

Craig
------------------------------------------------------
If I had more clamps, I could build more boats.