I got to do a bit over the Christmas break. I finished off all of my templates. Marked and cut out all of my parts, and started stitching her together. I was a little unhappy with the ply that I got, as I had intended to have a clear finish on the whole kayak. Whilst it is very light in weight, it is also light in colour. So I'll paint the outside right up to the gunwhales, and I'm using a nicer (but slightly heavier) ply for the decks, cockpit and tankwell. These will be clear finished.
Once stitched, she was flipped, tack welded, wire ties removed, and gaps filled in.
Flipped again, and started glassing inside. I did this in three sections, so that I could leave some frames in to help with the shape. I started with the tankwell section, then moved up to the bow section. This allowed me to keep the cockpit frames in and hold a reasonable shape while the glass cured. Then I re-installed the tankwell frame, and a couple of temporary braces up front so that I could do the centre section.
Originally I was going to install a mirage drive, but changed my mind, as I want to use this in the surf and I think it will be more trouble than it's worth. Oh well, I'll just have to build another for the estuaries. I was also going to go with 4oz cloth on both the inside and outside, but after seeing how light it was, I went with Matts recommendation of 6oz.
Taping of the frames was next. I am making a minor modification to the cockpit frame to allow for a large console/hatch to access the forward area. I cut out the centre section of frame 1, and the console will end up coming back to frame 2, be the full width between the two main frames, and the same height as the front deck.
When finished, I hope it will end up something like this.
This is where I'm currently up to, and I'll post more as I progress.