Sabalo build finally underway!

Builder show and discuss their progress.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Re: Sabalo build finally underway!

Post by john the pom »

Mate don't worry about crappy fillets I have heaps of them. Mine are in a SIK so I spose they don't matter as much. Some of my fillets are actually pours where I tipped in some sloppy mix and tilted the boat till it ran smooth and filled the join. Paint the boat and move on. Most of all enjoy using the boat.
You built it to enjoy without spending a fortune. If anyone mentions your fillets ask to see the fillets on their boat. Chances are they have never built one. It's when you build a second boat (we were all told that the second one would be better, and to build an easy one first) that everyone -except me- improves. I don't care though I just enjoy using it. Thats a fairly complex first build serves you right :D But hey its still a lovely boat.
Cheers John.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

I give it to you John, you are refreshing!

I'm not really that hung up on it. It's more a conversation point than anything else. Painted, timber, neat, sloppy, JEM boats blow any plastic out of the water! I know I'm going to have a fantastic ride regardless. Anyway, if I really want in a few years time I can strip it all back and redo it. Try that with a plastic! :lol: :lol:
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Once you have her in the water & fish from it you wont worry about the little imperfections & most people only see the whole boat not the bits you always see.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Yes you are right. I am not really too bothered, but you do tend to focus on the negatives when you are working on something like this. I have been s*&t scared I would make some major blue and would stuff it up, but now that I haven't I am regretting not doing a neater job. It's just the perfectionist coming out in me. :?

This is the pic I took this afternoon. I have started fitting hardware to it for a first float on Sunday.

My neighbours are impressed, even if I'm maybe too conscious of the faults. :roll:

goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

I just thought, maybe there are people out there who have been scared off by the Bemm52's of this site (sorry Paul, we really do admire you), who are convinced they could never build something like that, to that standard, but after looking at mine they might just have the courage to give it a go themselves. I know I took a long time to decide to build a JEM because I had never done anything like this before. Now that I have come to this point I'm absolutely stoked that I did! :D

I just took a look at the photo in the previous post and realized (dumb I know) that that boat is not someone else's work, it's MINE!! (Sorry, I still can't get over it, i'm like a kid at Christmas right now.) I sure would rather have a JEM Sabalo to take fishing that has a few minor faults than a plastic factory kayak for twice the price that still doesn't have the features mine has.

If that describes you, just DO IT! Honestly, if I can do a decent (if not perfect) job of building a fairly complex boat like the Sabalo with no previous experience, then you certainly can build something that will have you on the water in style, believe me! :wink:
Earvin
Type of boat I like: Okwata.

Post by Earvin »

goanywhere wrote:I just thought, maybe there are people out there who have been scared off by the Bemm52's of this site (sorry Paul, we really do admire you), who are convinced they could never build something like that, to that standard, but after looking at mine they might just have the courage to give it a go themselves. I know I took a long time to decide to build a JEM because I had never done anything like this before. Now that I have come to this point I'm absolutely stoked that I did! :D

I just took a look at the photo in the previous post and realized (dumb I know) that that boat is not someone else's work, it's MINE!! (Sorry, I still can't get over it, i'm like a kid at Christmas right now.) I sure would rather have a JEM Sabalo to take fishing that has a few minor faults than a plastic factory kayak for twice the price that still doesn't have the features mine has.

If that describes you, just DO IT! Honestly, if I can do a decent (if not perfect) job of building a fairly complex boat like the Sabalo with no previous experience, then you certainly can build something that will have you on the water in style, believe me! :wink:
Well put mate. It looks bloody great. I am in the same boat as you (pun intended), I would much rather have something that I built, imperfections and all. "It is better to travel well than to arrive" - that's how i see boat building, the process of building the boat is far more important than the end product. It just so happens that at the end of it we end up with this beautiful, functional boat, that we can enjoy over and over.

Watching your boat come together is responsible for me having Matt design a strip version of a SOT, and putting my other build on hold :D .
Simon

"It is better to travel well than to arrive".
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Thanks Earvin. Amen to that. I will watch with interest how the stripper SOT comes together.

That's another thing with building. You can custom design anything you want, the way you want, and even change it if it doesn't turn out how you thought. :D
Falcn
Type of boat I like: Solo open canoe

Post by Falcn »

That is really good advice. Get on and build, don't worry about the imperfections. Next time you will know a little bit more and maybe there will be fewer imperfections. Good to see your boat coming together. Good luck with getting her wet :)
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

goanywhere wrote:I just thought, maybe there are people out there who have been scared off by the Bemm52's of this site
Never really thought of myself as scary :shock: :lol: :lol:

your boat looks great mate I particularly like the cooler behind the seat 8)

Don't forget boat building is a learning curve and my Sabalo was by no means my first build, and I'm also a bit SPAM about finish :roll:

The lines of yours look good and fair........... hidden in my build is a kink somewhere which gives the boat a slight tendency to track to port if rudder is not deployed :oops:

Good luck with your prelaunch launch

Cheers Paul
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Well the big day came and went off without a hitch! (Sound of fireworks and champagne corks popping...crowds cheering....) :lol:

I had arranged to meet Onkabob at 2:00pm, but I cheated and went early. I wanted to head out into the gulf, and see if I could catch a couple of squid before meeting up with him.

So I loaded up the 4wd, which wasn't hard even though it has come in a bit hefty at 28kg. (That's due to a few mods, but also my inexperience and oversized fillets I'm sure).

Got down to the launch spot, and unloaded. There were quite a few people about, being such a nice day, with kayaks coming and going everywhere. I had lots of comments and curious looks. One of the locals who was suitably impressed took some photos and I asked him to take one with my camera:

I proceeded downstream, the tide was very low so I got hung up on a couple of sand bars trying to find a way through to the mouth and out into the sea. Finally I made it out of the mouth navigating a couple of 3-4 foot breakers on the way, which got me wet but the Sabalo took it all in her stride. I was amazed at how stable it stayed while riding over waves that were just breaking.

I ventured out about 500 metres to a favourite spot to try to catch some squid, but unfortunately they had gone home for the afternoon. But I used the time wisely by opening a celebratory beer and toasted my good health and held a brief naming ceremony, dubbing my Sabalo the good ship 'Go Anywhere'.

After about an hour out there enjoying the sun and sea, I remembered that I had an appointment with Onkabob back at the launch spot at 2:00. I got back in time and a few minutes later he paddled down the river, having arrived a few minutes early while I was away, and heading upstream. He said some suitably kind things about seeing my Sabalo in the flesh and so I gave him a go. It was nice seeing it on the water at a distance, and it looked great. Bob looked very comfortable in the boat and it did look great, even though it's still not finished.

So we ventured off together back down the river, flicking lures as we went, but without success. (Mid afternoons aren't usually prime fishing time on the Onk.)

All in all it was a great day. the Sabalo is a fantastic boat. Very stable, and surprisingly nimble (really does go anywhere - flat water, rolling surf and ocean). I was amazed at it's surfing ability on the way back into the river, where the breakers seemed the biggest. I could surf with ease and only needed to apply a little oar to keep it straight.

I found it very stable, I even stood up in it on the flat water, and while I wouldn't make it a habit, I wasn't scared of tipping. Certainly getting up on my haunches to make my way fore or aft wouldn't be a problem at all.

In terms of speed I was pleasantly surprised. I was able to make quick pace and it paddled straight as an arrow. I thought it might be a bit difficult to turn, being a straightie, but it wasn't at all. Carved turns aren't the Sabalo's thing, but it isn't a chore to turn her right about with a couple of decent sweep strokes. The tumblehome panels really make it easy to get a good angle onto the paddle, and I didn't skin my knuckles once on the handles I installed there.

Fishing is going to be a delight in the Sabalo. My favourite position when fishing from a yak at anchor or when drifting is side-on with legs over the side. I find this is the best position to be able to get hands to everything - in this case the cockpit hatch on one side, and the coolerbox on the other, and to manage a fish into the boat (when that happens!). The sharp lip on the top of the cockpit edge surprisingly wasn't uncomfortable under my legs at all.

I didn't have time to install rod holders before this trip, but I found the tankwell scupper performed the task very nicely while paddling.

However there a couple of negatives to report. The first, which is easily fixable, is that water did get into the under floor storage area. I got a fair bit of water into the cockpit when I crashed a wave heading out to sea and I was surprised when I opened the hatch that there was about half a litre of water in the bottom. This is no fault of the Sabalo design of course. At first I was worried that I might not have sealed the scuppers well enough up forward, but I am pretty sure it is because the hatch I installed, which is a second hand Hobie 8", has a foam seal that came with it which was pretty thin and flimsy. I think I will need to replace the seal, or better yet, seal it with silicone.

The only real gripe (minor) is that when I got water in the cockpit, water did well in the rear section where the seat is. I thought that this might happen, so I am planning on retro fitting a couple of scuppers. I plan to make some fibreglass tubes which should be easy to install. Of course carrying a big slurpy sponge with me might also deal with that, after all it's not alot of water, but it it a bit of a drag sitting in a puddle of water getting a wet behind. (The other fix is to lift the seat up an inch or so with a foam pad.)

That's about it for my first play on the Sabalo. Fantastic fishing yak, and will definitely be responsible for the demise of a fair swag of fish!

I still have a couple of weeks work on it to finish it off, hopefully in time to enter a local kayak fishing comp.

Thanks again to all here who have been an encouragement and a source of help when needed, and thanks Matt for designing a fantastic fishing kayak!