Sabalo build finally underway!

Builder show and discuss their progress.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Sabalo build finally underway!

Post by goanywhere »

Today I finally got a start to my Sabalo build. I still haven't totally finished the outrigger pontoons but they are not far off finishing, and while waiting for the recent glassing to cure off I decided to start marking up the sheets for the Sabalo.

I took a good look at the PW sheets and forgot that they were the thinner 3.2mm sheets. I am glad now, I would like to have as light a craft as possible, and with a few extras here and there I was getting a bit concerned about the weight. I'm using 6oz glass everywhere, so the lighter ply will be a bit of a weight offset. Nice grain so I plan to leave the deck and cockpit natural, but I will paint the hull. I'm also having a second read of the plans and instructions. Amazing how once you actually start many of the finer details start making sense (and building those pontoons helps put some sense into the techinique instructions). Excellent plans and instructions Matt.

Only one little thing I would like advice with. I found an oily patch on one of the sheets. I don't know how it got there, maybe it was there when I bought them, but I don't remember seeing it then. I will try to work around it, but I've wiped it over as thoroughly as I can with acetone. The oil seemed to come off on the rag, but there's still a dark patch left. Will this affect the adherence of epoxy to that area? I haven't sanded it yet, which I intend to do, so that might be all I need to do now.
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: Sabalo build finally underway!

Post by jem »

Keep trying to work that patch out. You might have to cut it out or at least sand the ply until it's gone. The epoxy won't stick to it long term. I'd consider getting another sheet of plywood. That's a problem waiting to happen.
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

I looked again, and it is actually right in the middle of a hull section, (A I think). But I can probably mark that section out on a spare area of another sheet. I want to avoid having to buy a whole extra sheet if I can. Maybe just cutting that piece out and patching it with another piece will work. As I am planning to paint the hull it won't matter if the grain isn't uniform. The oil spot is only about 3" x 2". Alternatively, do you think that there will be enough free space on another sheet for that piece Matt?
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

I would cut it out make an infill from a piece of scrap ply........... then glue it in with thickened epoxy and glass over on the inside with some overlap to existing panel........when you glass the outside it will cover patch.........its the same method you will use to join hull side planks.

Cheers Paul
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

If you can give me some x-y position coordinates on the sheet, maybe I can give an estimate if it can be worked around.
-Matt. Designer.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Oil probly came from the manufacturing process. There would be lots of rollers and handling equipment that would touch those sheets and such stuff has to be lubricated. However, is it possible that it is stray glue from the glueing process? just a thought. If it could be shown to be glue you shouldn't have to worry about it mebbe.
Cheers John.
OnkaBob

Post by OnkaBob »

I believe this particular ply was purchased secondhand along with the plans after the original owner had them in storage for quite a while. It could be anything on there and with the number of possible substances in someone's shed these days the odds of it being epoxy compatible are fairly low so personally I wouldn't take the chance. Working around it, even if it means an extra splice, would be the only safe way, and dealing with it now means nothing to worry about later.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

I think it's good news. I just took a close look again at the stain, and I noticed a feint ring about the size of a coffe cup base in the middle of it, barely noticeable. I think it might have been a coffee spill, but what ever it was was a bit sticky, so either whoever it was (Mark?) must have liked lots of sugar in his coffee or it was something like coke or something. Anyway I got the sanding block onto it, and it came off fairly easy, didn't have to sand through the top layer and no sign of a stain. I think it will be ok. I will leave it for a day or so to see if any surface staining reappears. If it does it was definitely some kind of oil and I will have to cut that piece out and place a patch in it I think, as Bob says. That won't be too hard to do if necessary.

This was the only sheet that had been partially marked out with the reference lines marked on it and Panel 'A Front' marked out, but that was all. My guess is that he put a cup of coffee down on the sheet while marking out the lines and maybe bumped it and spilled a bit on it.

The stain was definitely on panel 'A Aft', on sheet 1. Looking at it from the perspective of the plan notes at the bottom of plan sheet 1.1 and the panel drawings at the top of the page, it is placed smack in the middle of the panel, level with the third reference line from the right.
goanywhere

Post by goanywhere »

Bemm 52 wrote:I would cut it out make an infill from a piece of scrap ply........... then glue it in with thickened epoxy and glass over on the inside with some overlap to existing panel........when you glass the outside it will cover patch.........its the same method you will use to join hull side planks.

Cheers Paul
Yes, I thought of that, and Onkabob suggested the same. I think it's going to be ok though, (see my prev post).
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

If it disappeared, then you should be ok. I'd still go over the area again with a little aceton and a scrub brush.
-Matt. Designer.