New Stalker Build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Re: New Stalker Build

Post by jem »

nope
-Matt. Designer.
Falcn
Type of boat I like: Solo open canoe

Post by Falcn »

Managed to get two coats of graphite and epoxy onto the bottom today. I will probably let that cure properly for the weekend trials and launch ceremony :D :D :D
Then I can sand and add a third layer next week. Still have to varnish the gunwales, though I may just seal them with packing tape for the short test paddle, then finish them later.

The family are turning out for the trial paddle, so we should get a few good photos.

goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Looking good falcn. I hope that little animation isn't repeated at the launch ceremony. :lol: Mine had a leak that was discovered on my first wetting (all fixed now though). :D
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
Falcn
Type of boat I like: Solo open canoe

Post by Falcn »

Maiden Voyage photo report ...

Well it floats, no leaks that I could see. Fitted out with a temporary foredeck, temporary seating, thwarte unfixed, gunwales unvarnished.

A little skittish in solo mode when I had the seat placed well back. When I moved the temporary seating forward it was much better at tracking. I think the runner I plan to put on would help a lot.

Really nice to handle when two people are aboard.

Still need to make and fit the seats, fix the thwartes, epoxy the gunwales, make a better fore deck.

It sits nicely on top of the car.

jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

Nice!

You are right about sitting in the back solo and the tracking... you need to balance it out to keep it tracking straight. Otherwise too much of the V in the bow area is out of the water.
-Matt. Designer.
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

Looking good mate. It should make an ideal boat for photography and or fishing. I'm putting rails in my Northwind similar to Rons, AKA Tx RiverRat (See his Northwind build post). This will enable the seat to be located according to load.
For what it's worth, I reckon a seat similar to the UJ seat shown in Old Sparkeys Forum (Pirogue forum) would look a real treat in your boat.

Cheers
Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

rodot wrote: For what it's worth, I reckon a seat similar to the UJ seat shown in Old Sparkeys Forum (Pirogue forum) would look a real treat in your boat.

Cheers
Roger
For the what it's worth department...... Here is the link to that article... http://www.southernpaddler.com/phpBB3/v ... ?f=3&t=283 .. Lots of reading ( 9 pages ) so get a cupa of your favorite beverage and enjoy it as you scan the pages.
There are a lot of some really nice modifications to the seat in that posting. :D

Chuck.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
jem
Site Admin

Post by jem »

It's a good product and I endorse Uncle John's products fully. And if anyone knows anything about your back side needing to be comfortable, it's Chuck. :mrgreen:
-Matt. Designer.
goanywhere
Type of boat I like: Fishing SOTs.

Post by goanywhere »

Very nice Falcn. Seems perfectly suited to the kind of water in the photos. If that's typical of the waters you will be paddling the Stalker is a great choice. :D
My psychologist reckons I need lots of fishin' therapy!
surfman
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by surfman »

Looking good. :D
Tight Lines, Steve