Sabalo 12 my first kayak build

Builder show and discuss their progress.
bbgobie2
Type of boat I like: SOT kayaks

Sabalo 12 my first kayak build

Post by bbgobie2 »

I've been inspired by the build threads here and at other sites. They've served as reference for ideas and how to build a stitch and glue kayak. I've thought about building one for a while and just never thought the time was right.

Well this is the year, with covid and more time spent at home combined with my wife enjoying kayaking on her own more we started the search for a new kayak.

We currently actually have 2 tandem kayaks which we both currently paddle individually. You know what they say about divorce and tandems. :shock:

We both wanted really stable sot kayaks. After a long search and trying we decided on trying to build a Sabalo 12. It was just about the size we were looking for.

This will be a fairly simple build. The kayak will be used for day trips, no rod holders, not much in the way of storage. There is 1 modification we've planned. Extending the length of the cockpit as my daughter comes with us and she jumps back and forth between our kayaks.

I'll be posting some updates and pictures here, I'll leave additional photos and commentary on this site https://maximfx.com/category/kayak-buil ... alo12-mk1/
Last edited by bbgobie2 on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bbgobie2

Re: Sabalo 12 my first kayak build

Post by bbgobie2 »

Cutting panels took a lot longer than I thought it would. Extending the cockpit had a bit to do with it, but I think deciding to go with the American inch units and fractions was a big part as well.

Oops. On my pho e and it's really hard to get the images linked and resized for posting here. Will update with more pics and progress tonight from a computer.
bbgobie2

Post by bbgobie2 »

Stack of hull panels cut out.

I found using a couple of 2x4s or were the 2x3s to support the panels while sanding/planing made the job much easier.
I cut the first few panels pretty wide outside the line just in case. But the 4mm Okoume was actually super easy to cut so later I started getting a bit more confident with cutting near the line making for less clean up work.
bbgobie2

Post by bbgobie2 »

Didn't even realize it when reading through the instructions but I guess you somehow have to make strips for the cleats. I think its a good thing that thought didn't really sink in till I got to this step because it caused quite a bit of fear. Read a few ideas for making a jig to use a circular saw as I have sold my table saw several years ago (not enough use and too much space). In the end I just used a jig that I normally use with my circular saw. Its an aluminum L guide in a rabbit. It just guides the saw to make a straight cut. I cut enough strips to make cleats for all the interior sections. Which is what I see in everyone's build. Oddly enough when I went to attach them and read the instructions over and over, they don't go everywhere, like in the rear tankwell for example?
bbgobie2

Post by bbgobie2 »

Originally I was going to use the block method to join my hull panels together. I can't remember the exact moment I decided to try and scarf them together, but at some point it happened. Probably read and viewed to many kayak/boat videos and articles across various websites.

I had built a jig for my router to do the scarfing, I had tried it out a few times and it can make really nice scarfs, but I had also made a couple mistakes. I figured I could reduce the chance of a mistake by clamping my jig pieces together when cutting. It would slow me down but should make it very safe to scarf the panels.

When I got to the first hull pieces I wanted to scarf together (Hull panels D) I realized my jig wasn't wide enough to fit the gigantic middle sections of the kayak together. So hand plane it was. I practiced a couple times and it was actually pretty easy. Somewhat relaxing too.

bbgobie2

Post by bbgobie2 »

I actually made a mistake epoxying one of the panels together, it must've moved after I clamped them together. I ended up with 2 D hull panels that were similar but one of them made kinda a slight V from where it was scarfed, funny enough it was actually still very close to the QA length.

I didn't want to risk trying to stitch it together since it seems like everything is based off this D panel. So I cut it a bit off from the scarf, traced a new piece from the other panel and rescarfed them together. This time I epoxied it using the other panel as a template, and the planed/sanded it down based on the other complete panel.

Here's my 2 D panels stitched together ready to be opened up! It was really exciting for me and the first time my family really got to see the Kayak taking shape.

Hull shape starting to come together. I fixed it up a bit after this. Just a warning for anyone else or maybe I did something wrong, but if your gonna place your frame on top of the two panels, you better clamp down the side or stitch them in, otherwise the panels wanna close back up shooting your frame onto the floor.

Cowbro
Type of boat I like: Blue fin

Post by Cowbro »

This is awesome. It looks like you are doing fabulous job. I love the scarf joint, it should make fairing the boat a lot easier.

I LOL'd about having two tandems that you each paddle separately. Once this Sabalo is done you'll be fighting over it, the second one will probably follow pretty quick.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Looking good so far.

Regarding scarfing panels, I remember looking at various jigs for power tools years ago and they were all more trouble than they were worth. A good block plane and a bit of practice is all you need, especially with plywood because the plies show you where the high spots are.

If you have trouble with the copper wire making holes in your fingers then you can use cable ties instead. The only thing to be careful about when using them is not to fully tighten them until everything is lined up because they can't just be loosened a little like the wire can.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
bbgobie2

Post by bbgobie2 »

Cowbro wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:27 pm This is awesome. It looks like you are doing fabulous job. I love the scarf joint, it should make fairing the boat a lot easier.

I LOL'd about having two tandems that you each paddle separately. Once this Sabalo is done you'll be fighting over it, the second one will probably follow pretty quick.
Thanks! If fairing is easier that would be great. It took quite a bit of extra time to measure, cut and epoxy them together, so I'm not sure I'd do it next time.

Definitely planning for a 2nd kayak, just not sure if the Sabalo 12 or wadefish is more suitable. So gotta finish this up soon so I know what plans to use for number 2 in the winter
bbgobie2

Post by bbgobie2 »

OnkaBob wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:14 am Looking good so far.

Regarding scarfing panels, I remember looking at various jigs for power tools years ago and they were all more trouble than they were worth. A good block plane and a bit of practice is all you need, especially with plywood because the plies show you where the high spots are.

If you have trouble with the copper wire making holes in your fingers then you can use cable ties instead. The only thing to be careful about when using them is not to fully tighten them until everything is lined up because they can't just be loosened a little like the wire can.
Ive seen the posts about zipties. For now the wire is working. The panels after the bottom seem to be easier to do. I've also had to loosen some as I learn how much tension is needed and when I can just tighten to align a panel or when I need new holes.

That stern... O man. I heard about it, seen it, but it was tight!