Neons Sabalo 12

Builder show and discuss their progress.
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Re: Neons Sabalo 12

Post by neon14 »

Started tacking the frame together. This took a little while.

It was tricky because it was still flexible. So I took about ten zillion measurements.

Also got the 4 ply bottom panels glued together.
The rest of the hull panels will be cedar. The blue ice chest is full of drill bits and the orange bucket is full of brass and scorpions. I hate those things :x
LesForgue
Type of boat I like: JEM Trapper by Matt

Post by LesForgue »

I'll be glad when I've gotten as far on my trapper 15 build that you have gotten on your Sabalo. Looking forward to your builder log posts.

also, I like those weights in the photo, one for getting drinks out of and another for paying that eventual water bill into.
Les Richard Forgue
Manjimike
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Manjimike »

Great work :D
Cheers
Mike
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Started roughly stitching the panels together.
I am using safety wire. Its what we use on our land speed bike to hold critical nuts and bolts locked in place. Have lots of it and am used to working with it. Even have a cool little tool to twist it.

This was a pretty challenging little bend right here. I knew it was possible because I have seen it done on this forum.

This is just a crazy pic. Its hard to believe it was just flat panels.

Now its time to start ripping some strips :D
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

It's magic how flat panels make such fine shapes.

Looks like a well set out workshop with some fun toys to boot. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

That ply must be made of rubberwood! :lol:

Looking good anyway.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
woodman
Type of boat I like: plywood kayaks

Post by woodman »

That is some nice luan you picked up their Neon...Man after helping a guy build his boat with 4mm Okoume you wouldn't believe how flexible that stuff is almost to much, trying to keep the panels fair was a challenge...With luan being stiffer you don't have that problem...
Beautiful work... as usual...
JayM
Type of boat I like: Laker Sabalo or Wadefish

Post by JayM »

Looking good, neon! Can't wait to see how you do the cedar strips for the upper panels.

Jay
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Cut all kinds of strips the other day.
Think I got a good selection to choose from. Ran the table saw and vacuum for 3 hours. Made a lot of saw dust!

Got to working on my wood strip panels. I told myself that I was never going to do this on the floor again. I lied. One of these days I am going to build me a nice long low table just for doing stuff like this. One of these days.

And its planer time! I love this machine! Well, I really like it :D It freaks me out every time I use it. I am amazed at how much wood shavings it produces. I am glad when we build this shop we put the large double doors on it. Sure helps out in situations like this.

Yea, beats the heck out of the old orbital sander. But dont worry orbital sander. You will get plenty of hours of sand time on this boat lol

Tomorrow I will cut these out and hopefully start gluing the boat together. I am dreading trying to get all the panels true. Its prolly going to take a while. I have only build one other stitch and glue boat before, and it was much simpler.
woodman
Type of boat I like: plywood kayaks

Post by woodman »

I'd plane them on down to 3/16...to get rid of some weight....