Neons Sabalo 12

Builder show and discuss their progress.
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Re: Neons Sabalo 12

Post by neon14 »

Got up this morning and made the 45 minute drive to San Antonio. Hit academy first and they had a junk pelican seat. Dicks had a pretty nice stadium seat but bass pro had the best one. It was 44 bucks and weighs #4 so I am going to blow of the swivel seat idea for now.
Its just about exactly what I was looking for. Has a sturdy frame, a storage pouch on the back and even has a drink holder :D Most of these seats use straps to hold the backrest and this one has an adjustable metal bracket. I like it.

Temporarily installed the tank well and filleted it. At least I remembered to cut the scupper hole first, forgot to on the front. The only place that I have really deviated from the plans was I ran a sheer clamp the entire length of the boat. The plans only called for the front and rear decks. I did this to thicken up the edge a little bit and add a 3/4" strip along the top that will flow into all the deck panels.
The decks are looking good! Still have to glass the frame to the hull. And glass the under sides of the decks, cockpit, and tank well before I can even think about thinking about anything else :lol:
neon14

Post by neon14 »

I glassed the frame to the hull!!! In fact I glassed the under side of everything.
Here the cockpit.
Its always easy to glass the outside of something, but wait. This was the inside of the cockpit, or is it the outside? Well what ever it is its going to be easier than the other side :?

This was a very awkward moment right here.
Everybody that has come by the shop and looked at the boat has had an extremely confused look on their faces when I explain the scupper holes.

I really messed up here.
I glued the panel on upside down! Glassed side on top. Now I have a bare wood panel on the inside. I guess when I install an access panel I can try to get in there and coat it with epoxy.
Last edited by neon14 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Its starting to look like a boat!
Might get to work on it a little bit tomorrow. Going out of town for a few days. Fishing Sunday, going to a party on Monday, and floating the Frio Tuesday :D
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Went over to mom and dads this morning before we went fishing. Hit it with a light sanding just to see what we have. Put a couple handles I stole off one of my plastic kayaks.
Dang it I have to go out of town :x
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

Ugly boat. Send it to me so you don't have to look at it anymore.

:mrgreen:
-Matt. Designer.
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

jem wrote:Ugly boat. Send it to me so you don't have to look at it anymore.

Beat me to it :lol: .

It's a nice looking design to start with but the strips really take it up a notch.

Should look even better with water under it.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

OnkaBob wrote:
jem wrote:Ugly boat. Send it to me so you don't have to look at it anymore.

Beat me to it :lol: .

It's a nice looking design to start with but the strips really take it up a notch.

Should look even better with water under it.
And fish scales.
cjbfisher
Type of boat I like: SOT fishing kayaks.

Post by cjbfisher »

Neon,
That's a real purty boat!
What's the weight so far?
As I was reading through the build, I was thinking to myself, "I would have done the cockpit and tankwell in cedar as well". Now that I see it, I think I would prefer them the way you have done.
I am so looking forward to seeing this finished.

Chris
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Ok Matt I will send it right out LOL!

Thanks for the compliments guys. I just got back from an epic 8 hour tube/kayak float. Man I am wiped out. The last quarter of that trip got crazy, I flipped over a few times. Lost my favorite fishing pole. Those plastic kayaks served there purpose well, that was defiantly the perfect trip to take them on. But I am ready to get this boat in the water. Picked it up today from Mom and Dads and brought it home for the finish work. I managed to get the tank well glassed today but thats it. Tomorrow I hope to glass the cockpit and decks.

cjbfisher, I will try to give it a weigh tomorrow. I'm kind of scared to know what it weighs :oops:
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

I will try to give it a weigh tomorrow. I'm kind of scared to know what it weighs
I have a 12 foot Tupperware SOT in the shed that weighs in at well over 30kgs, I'm sure that yours will weigh a lot less then that and be a heck of a lot prettier. Looks great.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico