Jay's Wadefish 2.0

Builder show and discuss their progress.
DannyBoy
Type of boat I like: canoes and SOT kayaks

Re: Jay's Wadefish 2.0

Post by DannyBoy »

well your rocking on the first go then bro..
HOME OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE,

Pirogue 14-29, DK Touring Canoe, 14 jon boat, soon to be added Wadefish 15-32 and Sabalo for my sons senoir project.
JayM
Type of boat I like: Laker Sabalo or Wadefish

Post by JayM »

I have been working on the boat, just haven't posted any pics. I was going to use paper patterns for the hull sections, but after trying it decided that they weren't working well. They were a little too floppy and didn't want to lay as flat as I needed, so I ended up cutting templates for the hull pieces out of luan. I covered my work table with plastic, and traced the templates onto the plastic so I knew where to lay the strips.

At this point, I have gotten all of the panels glued up. The last one is drying now. Next, I will trim them all to the templates and start stitching them together.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the progress so far.

Finished hull panels.

The last 2 panels drying on the table. These are the top most hull panels and have the same mahogany accent strip the cockpit and tankwell have.

Cockpit and tankwell. The tankwell is tack welded with thickened epoxy. I still need to fillet and glass it. The cockpit frame is filleted but the panels are just sitting there for the photo. Still need to put it together. The cockpit top walls (decks?) are sitting on top of the frame.

Jay
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

Looking good Jay :D :D :D
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Post by neon14 »

Thats looking ridiculously cool! I like the way you did the panels. Its going to be a nice boat.

How wide are your strips to get that bend for the hull panels?
JayM

Post by JayM »

Thanks for the comments. The cedar strips are about 11/16" wide and the mahogany strip is 13/16". They bend without any problem. The wide strips for the bottom panels are about 3/4" wide.

Jay
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Jay
That is going to be an awesome build ,your doing a great job.
Ron
JayM

Post by JayM »

Thanks, Ron.

Jay
DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy »

looking really good Jay did you just use a but join to make the strips length for the hull panels or did you scarf them?. As this is the next boat I'm currently looking to make watching your build with excitement as I'm hoping to use the same process with strips for the hole thing. :mrgreen:

Pirogue 14-29, DK Touring Canoe, 14 jon boat, soon to be added Wadefish 15-32 and Sabalo for my sons senoir project.
JayM

Post by JayM »

Thanks, Danny.

I just used butt joints. I have a pretty good miter box to cut them square. I tried a couple of scarfs, but had trouble getting them to fit right.

Good luck on your build. Keep in mind that I make no claims to having any idea of what I'm doing. I'm mostly just making it up as I go along :lol: .

Jay
DannyBoy

Post by DannyBoy »

LOL making it up as we go along is what makes the boats such wonderfull pieces of art. and fun to build