Jay's Wadefish 2.0

Builder show and discuss their progress.
JayM
Type of boat I like: Laker Sabalo or Wadefish

Jay's Wadefish 2.0

Post by JayM »

OK, I'm finally starting the thread on my Wadefish. I got the plans, read them carefully several times, and started making some sawdust :D .

It's going to be strip, stitch, and glue method, primarily out of western red cedar. I'll be using some other woods for accent. All internal parts (non-showing) will be plywood.

Here, I've cut out all of the plywood pieces, including the jigs for the bow and stern.

The cockpit frame test fit.

I have also since cut the reinforcing strips for the top of the cockpit frames and glued them into place, and have glued the whole assembly together but haven't taken any pics of that yet. Maybe tomorrow. Still need to add fillets to the frames. I have started laying out the hull sections on heavy paper to use as patterns. I also started cutting some strips last night. The circular saw method seems to work well so I will probably continue to do them that way.

Jay
JayM

Re: Jay's Wadefish 2.0

Post by JayM »

A couple of more pictures.

Laying out patterns.

The cockpit frame with reinforcing strips glued on. I plan to mix some epoxy and add fillets to the cockpit frame tomorrow.

I have patterns done for most of the panels. When I get ready to start gluing cedar strips together, I will tape the patterns together to make full length panels. Then I will set up the 16ft table, lay the patterns out and put clear plastic on top. Then start fitting the strips together. Now to go start ripping some more strips.

Jay
tx river rat
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by tx river rat »

Starting that s s @g sure slowed the sale of the marine plywood down. :lol:
Looking good
Ron
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Post by Oldsparkey »

looking forward to watching the steps and progress of your build , especially the final project when you paddle it. :D

Chuck.....
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
JayM

Post by JayM »

Thanks, guys. I just hope that it comes out as nice as your builds. I've learned a lot reading your threads.

Cut some strips today but still have quite a few to do before I can start gluing them together.

Jay
JayM

Post by JayM »

OK, I have made some progress.

I got the panel made up for the cockpit floor sections. I used WRC for most of it with an accent strip down the middle of mahogany. It's a little blotchy bacause I wet it to swell some nail holes closed.

Next, I laid out the pieces with the patterns I made.

Test fit them in the cockpit frame.
The whole thing:

Front

Rear

I have a long weekend and vacation next week before going camping Thursday, so I hope to get a bit more done then.

Jay
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Post by neon14 »

Thats looking really good!
DannyBoy
Type of boat I like: canoes and SOT kayaks

Post by DannyBoy »

looking sweet jay!!!! you plan on keeping the accent strip throughout the centerline.
HOME OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE,

Pirogue 14-29, DK Touring Canoe, 14 jon boat, soon to be added Wadefish 15-32 and Sabalo for my sons senoir project.
PiratePete
Type of boat I like: Wadefish + Mirarge Drive.

Post by PiratePete »

That looks sweet.

Hurry up & finish it I can't wait to see the rest of the boat. :D :D :D

Hmmmmmmm I might just have to make one for my wife. . . . . . . Is 3 Wadefish too many for one family. . . . . . . . .
JayM

Post by JayM »

Thanks, guys.

DannyBoy, yes, I'm planning on the accent strip at least through the cockpit and tankwell. I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do with the decks or hull. This is the first time I've ever done anything with strips, so I'm kind of feeling my way through. Been looking at at lot of other strip boats for ideas, but I don't want to try to get too intricate for my first one.

PiratePete, you know you can never have too many :D

Jay