JEM Watercraft

JEM Watercraft

Customer Service Forum
Direct Links To: Canoe Plans  --  Kayak Plans  --  Other Plans

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First boat build Sasquatch 16-33
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:06 am 

Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself and start a Log of my first build.

I have been wanting to build a srip canoe for several years now, but never found the time to start one. Over the last month I have been looking a purchasing a fishing kayak, but I really like the way wood looks over the plastic and fiberglass stuff. So I decided to start looking at wooden sit on top fishing Kayaks. After doing a google search, I found the wadefish sit on tops. I really liked those designs and everything, but after looking at the other plans I decided to go with the Sasquatch 16-33. Maybe it was because of all the cool pictures of the one mick built. Seeing that I have a young family, I enjoy the fact that it can either be a solo canoe or carry a passenger. I plan on using it for fishing the majority of the time, but would like to also be able to take some trips in it as well. I realize this says its a bit more difficult to build, but I was caprenter before I became a teacher. One of the biggest things I would like to figure out is how to flush mount a transducer for a fish finder.

Post subject: Re: First boat build Sasquatch 16-33
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:36 am 

Hi there TM, a few people have mounted transducers in their wood kayaks and I think you'll find a few descriptions on here about how to do it. You may even find a local nearby who's done it. What part of the world are you in?

Looking forward to seeing your build - don't forget the photos :) .Are you going to use ply or SSG?

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.

Post subject: Re: First boat build Sasquatch 16-33
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:01 am 

I'm from Houston, Texas. As of right now, I plan on using Okoume ply. I'm waiting for my sasquatch plans to arrive, so I am still in the planning stages. As I mentioned before, I am going to be using this primarily for solo fishing. Any ideas about rod holders, fish finder, or anything else would be greatly appreciated.