Quetico

Builder show and discuss their progress.
neon14
Type of boat I like: SUP hybrid kayak

Re: Quetico

Post by neon14 »

Thats a really cool pick with all the panels on the ground. It still amazes me that a boat can come from flat pieces of wood. Looks like you got a good start on this thing. Going to be a nice boat.
FloatingFisher
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by FloatingFisher »

Thanks for the info on the saw
rodot
Type of boat I like: Okwata kayak

Post by rodot »

Have been stitching up the quetico today. I was absolutely amazed just how easily and true it went together. I did put a bit of effort in making the panels as accurate as possible but I am sure that the extra frames, seven in total, helped considerably in keeping things in alignment. This hull looks incredible and my pictures just dont do it justice. It looks really streamlined. It is going to be a hell of a fast little boat.

Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

oh! she looks good! I'm a little concerned about the deck because those pieces are so skinny so provide feedback and any ideas for improvement.
-Matt. Designer.
john the pom
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by john the pom »

Oh my! This is a problem, I'm liking the look of this one :mrgreen:
rodot

Post by rodot »

Stiches out and saturation coat on.

8) 8) 8)
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
rodot

Post by rodot »

Fibreglassed the hull today. It was great that I was able to drape the cloth over the bow without having to make a cut.

When applying the epoxy I started in the middle with a glob of epoxy poured on the hull and spread it out with a spreader working towards the ends and then went over it with a squeegee to remove the excess epoxy.
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
OnkaBob
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by OnkaBob »

Nice looking wet-out there Roger 8)

Casting my mind back to a thread in the Q & C forum regarding sources - it looks like you have a very nice cloth there as it appears to conform very well. Can I ask your source? I'm happy with mine at the moment but it doesn't hurt to know of other good suppliers and products.
Cheers, Bob

Laker 13 - christened and slimed (just).
Laker accessories underway.
rodot

Post by rodot »

Can I ask your source? I'm happy with mine at the moment but it doesn't hurt to know of other good suppliers and products
All I can tell you about the cloth Bob, is that it is 4oz. I bought it from a boat supplies shop up at Batemans Bay. They ordered it in for me and I haven't got a clue who was their supplier. Not much help for you in South Oz im afraid.

Roger.
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico
rodot

Post by rodot »

I applied a few coats of epoxy by roller to fill the fibreglass weave on the hull and finished that yesterday. Today I replaced the frames and taped them in place.

I then fitted the deck panels in place, taped and then stitched them together. I relieved a few millimetres or so off the top of the number 1 frame for the deck to sit nicely in place.

Matt, I didn't have any problems with the skinny ends of these panels. Stitching them in place was no more difficult than any other panel. I did hold the tips together with a bit of masking tape.

It's beer o'clock now, so I'm off.

Roger
Okwata LC,
Northwind,
Quetico