BigMal's Wadefish

Builder show and discuss their progress.
BigMal
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15-32

Re: BigMal's Wadefish

Post by BigMal »

crabyak wrote: I raised the sides of my center console so as not to take on water
I would like to keep the deck level and clear if possible but I may yet put a raised edge around it, or even turn it into a full raised console if I can't get it sealing properly ... some trial and error to come I think.
"Life is measured in achievement, not in years alone" Bruce McLaren
BigMal

Post by BigMal »

A couple more on water shots.

jem
Site Admin
Type of boat I like: Wooden

Post by jem »

nice work!

what did you use to hook the one stored in the bait well? :lol:
-Matt. Designer.
BigMal

Post by BigMal »

jem wrote:what did you use to hook the one stored in the bait well? :lol:
Southern Comfort did the trick to get this one on board I believe :wink:

crabyak wrote:Hatch sealing can drive you nuts!!
Yes it certainly can; and is!!!!

crabyak wrote:I raised the sides of my center console so as not to take on water. and it works very well indeed
It seems like I will be following suit and turning my hatch into a raised console. I did some tests today to try out some twist latches and still couldn't stop water from passing my seals; even with another 10kg of weight holding down the hatch.

crabyak wrote:I use clear tape to seal off my forward hatch as I will never use it while paddling
I think I will borrow (or steal :twisted: ) this idea until I can get the front hatch sealing properly. At least it won't keep me off the water that way.
crabyak
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 2.0

Post by crabyak »

Mal;
I figured out your fwd hatch sealing problem...You need to install a coaming around it and get a custom spray skirt for one of your girls. fabricate a seat cushion and set her in there for the ride!! That way the three of you can provide a photo shoot for mom. fun.
back to the problem, when we cut decks and reuse the cut out for the hatch, the cover is flimsy. adding another layer of light ply as a backer helps, problem is the hatch wants to twist. One of the ways I've eliminated leaking is to have a double lip as described in One Ocean Kayaks book. Mr. Stejskal has what I think to be a sterling addition to any builders library. Matt mentioned him somewhere on this forum.Other things I have done when installing the "god forbidden" hidden bunjie hold down system is to really tighten them cords up! The Mrs. then has an excuse to have me along, she needs me to open her hatch!lol. also I now use 1/2" wide closed cell insulation foam instead of anything smaller. and an inside backer lip. I use a bunjie in at least 4 places.
keep after it, you'll get it sealed.
Tim
Wadefish 2.0
Chesapeake 14
Chesapeake 17LT
Night Heron S&G
Shearwater 14 LV
PAX 20
BigMal

Post by BigMal »

Thanks for the ideas crabyak; I have now committed to the cockpit console and actually think it will turn out to be a better option for fishing with (more storage is never a bad thing :) ) ... although I'm not going to admit defeat completely :twisted: ; I will persevere with the front hatch; at most I will put straps over the top to hold it down.
BigMal

Post by BigMal »

Ok ... revision time.
Here are the changes I have made to my hatches.

Front hatch:
I have put a coaming around the front of the hatch which the lid slides under; the thought being that the biggest issue will be waves breaking over the bow.

Centre Hatch:
This has been turned into a console and I am really pleased with how this has worked out, it gives me much more storage.
I can fit 3 ice cream containers below deck plus a small bucket for bait and the tackle tray.

Test Time:
I took "my precious" out for another test this afternoon. I got down to Ohawe around 3.45 as the wind was picking up unfortunately which made for some really sloppy conditions.
Normally I would take one look and go back home without even unpacking, but this trip was to test her seaworthiness ... but I did decide to change my trolling plans and instead left the rods behind given the conditions.

Getting out was not difficult, while messy, the waves were not big, but I could tell from the outset that this girl is not designed for surf ... she doesn't have enough rocker to ride over the crest rather she punches through the waves but the good news is that the scuppers were able to handle the water without any problems.

I noticed a big difference paddling this over my FnD, swells that normally pass under and carry on picked up this girl and gave us a good run

Confession Time:
Coming back in I gave the surfcasters on the beach a good show the lack of rocker (and my lack of paddling experience) caught me unaware as the nose dove under the massy chop at the same time as the stern got picked up by a breaker ... around and over I went ... ... at about that point I was glad that I left my rods at home.

Results:
After a short paddle through the breakers, negotiating the mess and an inverted re-entry, the centre console was virtually dry and there was (estimated) less than 1L of water in the hull; I don't think that is a bad result overall as I know that there will be small leaks around rod holders etc that have not yet have the selley's treatment.
preacher
Type of boat I like: Cape Fear SOT

Post by preacher »

Did just about the same thing on my latest boat, front and rear hatches.
First framed out the raised lip.
Then framed out the hatch lid.
And, the finished product.

For my Cape Fear I used plastic water seal hatches, but they added quite a bit of weight.
crabyak
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 2.0

Post by crabyak »

Mal:
My WF does the same thing heading out thru the surf zone. With nothing in the tank well it does kind of plow thru the oncoming water and just floods over the fore deck. The scuppers handle this just fine. Now when I have my crab traps in the tank well she is squatting in the stern and the bow rises up over the breakers then slams down on the back side. Not really a problem as when things get that wild I probably won't be setting my traps.
Very wise decision to leave your rods at home for the shake down. Until you get the feel for how she handles in messy stuff , better off to just go out and experiment with out the valuable stuff aboard.
Hey , I have a ?. I noticed you have a fish finder installed. Have you mounted the transducer "thru" hull? I goof rigged up a swing mount off the side but it interferes with my lines and produces a lot of drag, Some of the guys with poly boats mount the transducer in a foam dam and fill it with water. No one knows if the transducer will shoot thru 4 mil ply. I've not yet messed around with it, just wondering what you came up with.
I'm off to the crab tournament tomorrow! conditions for the event Sunday are going to be intense. Forecast calling for 20 kt steady, 7-10 foot swells ,13 seconds apart , an 8 foot tide. gonna be some day for sure!
I've already had the WF is similar conditions and have complete confidence in the strength of the design, it's a Timex.
I'm still working on a better hatch hold down system.
later
Tim
Wadefish 2.0
Chesapeake 14
Chesapeake 17LT
Night Heron S&G
Shearwater 14 LV
PAX 20
BigMal

Post by BigMal »

crabyak wrote:Have you mounted the transducer "thru" hull?
Yes I have mounted the trans "thru" hull.

The problem others on this forum have found is that ply is not dense enough (too much air) and it interfees with the trans.

I copied what others have done on this forum, and cut a hole in the hull then filled this with thickened epoxy (easily done by taping one side and pouring it in).

Around here there seems to be 2 methods for fixing the trans for thru hull ... the dam method ... or (my approach) putting a thick layer of sealant (a favourite in these parts is Selley's All Clear) and bed the trans into it ... so long as there are no air bubbles in the sealant you will have no problems.