Wadefish 15-27 for crabbing

Builder show and discuss their progress.
crabyak
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 2.0

Wadefish 15-27 for crabbing

Post by crabyak »

Hello builders;

I'm building a Wadefish for dungeness crabbing here in Northern California. I'm a very experienced builder of S&G kayaks. I'll be changing a number of things , foremost I'll be sort of copying the cockpit floor arrangement that is used on the Blue Fin design. and adding a center cockpit,
I've cut and glued up the hull already. and once again my construction process differs from what Matt recommends for first time builders. Follow his instructions, they are well written. The lay out of the hull was straight forward, no surprises, everything went along quite smoothly, just the typical shaving off of small amounts of material to fair the hull.
I used 6 oz. cloth on the exterior using 25 ounces of MAS Epoxy mixed.
I also like light boats, no need for excess epoxy that adds nothing to strength. now if I can figure out how to post a image.
well no luck with the pics, I'm a stooge with a mac,
Last edited by crabyak on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Wadefish 2.0
Chesapeake 14
Chesapeake 17LT
Night Heron S&G
Shearwater 14 LV
PAX 20
Oldsparkey
Design Reviewer
Type of boat I like: Wood boats .

Re: Wadefish 15-27 for crabbing

Post by Oldsparkey »

The picture file needs to be a JPEG Image and is added in between the Img from the the selection where the B -I-u- Quote , list and other choice's are located when you post a reply.

You will see .img] [img. when you click on the Img button. Then just copy the jpg file and enter it between the ][ to have the picture be shown.
Remember:
Amateurs built the Ark...... Professionals built the Titanic
Visit some fine paddlers at The Southern Paddler
crabyak

Post by crabyak »

thanks for the reply,
My skills with this new mac are lacking, I've tried to copy and paste the image, then the jpeg line , and untold other things, guess I need to sniff a little epoxy or something,[img]120_1773.JPEG/img]
Wadefish 2.0
Chesapeake 14
Chesapeake 17LT
Night Heron S&G
Shearwater 14 LV
PAX 20
BigMal
Type of boat I like: Wadefish 15-32

Post by BigMal »

I think the image needs to be uploaded to another website then the address posted into your messsage between the Image

Next, click the "Img" box. When you click the box, the forum software puts the code "img" at the very front of your link and "/img" at the very back of your link.

Click "preview" (the tab to the left of the "Sumbit" tab) to see if you did this correctly. If you did it correctly, your picture shows up. The forum software gets picky about spaces so if your picture doesn't display, you might have an extra space between your link and the [img] code that needs removing.

By having your link coded in this manner, the forum software knows to display your pictures.

Try it out. If you have any issues, just ask for help.[/quote]
"Life is measured in achievement, not in years alone" Bruce McLaren
crabyak

Post by crabyak »

I posted on the JEM facebook page. I have a short pic album of the build in progress.
yup , I took the easy way to post pics.
feel free to post comments next to the particular pic you are looking at.
Thanks.
Tim
Wadefish 2.0
Chesapeake 14
Chesapeake 17LT
Night Heron S&G
Shearwater 14 LV
PAX 20
Bemm 52
Type of boat I like: <-- Please read instructions to the left and delete this text. Then, tell us what type boat you like! :-)

Post by Bemm 52 »

crabyak wrote:I posted on the JEM facebook page. I have a short pic album of the build in progress.
Thanks.
Tim
Jem Facebook page wheres that??????????????? :?
BrewCity
Type of boat I like: Freedom 11 or Sabalo 12

Post by BrewCity »

Bemm 52 wrote:
crabyak wrote:I posted on the JEM facebook page. I have a short pic album of the build in progress.
Thanks.
Tim
Jem Facebook page wheres that??????????????? :?
Jem bookface page- https://www.facebook.com/pages/JEM-Wate ... 2154569106
And I believe this is the link to the photo gallery- https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 654&type=1
crabyak

Post by crabyak »

Brew city,
thanks for posting the link!! What exactly do you brew??
as you can see by the images I've installed the bulkheads in place , still have to draw up the fwd. and aft. ones for the decks. I've decided to install the scuppers where the location will offer me accessibility just for peace of mind. I have a thing about putting holes in my boats.lol.
The fwd deck will have a 49" radius, flat mid and aft decks. I think I may want to sit on the mid deck , so flat works best for creature comfort.Also the bulkheads fwd.and aft of the center deck form a sealed chamber. A hatch will be added for storage or possible bait well.

Last year I purchased a Sabalo that a guy who loved excess epoxy had built. this thing weighed 95 lbs. what a pig. BUT it paddled real nice, just would not get on the roof racks easily. any way I traded it for a small pop up camper.
Then set out to build a better boat.
I sat in the hull yesterday in order to get some rough measurements for the center cockpit design.What I really liked was that I could comfortably sit there with each leg outside the hull, straddling it, this should help with extra stability while pulling up the traps.
Now I'm working on a color scheme.
Thanks for viewing.
Tim
Wadefish 2.0
Chesapeake 14
Chesapeake 17LT
Night Heron S&G
Shearwater 14 LV
PAX 20
BrewCity
Type of boat I like: Freedom 11 or Sabalo 12

Post by BrewCity »

crabyak wrote:Brew city,
thanks for posting the link!! What exactly do you brew??
Milwaukee, WI is/was known as Brew City from all the beer produced there (or maybe because of how much we drink :lol: ). I live just down the pike from Milwaukee and delivered beer in the area for 10 years so it's an easy pick for a user name if it's available.
crabyak

Post by crabyak »

wow, Brew city,
I went to Evinrude Master Tech school in Milwaukee in the early 70's!
What a great town, i was there for 3 weeks between thanksgiving and christmas. Just could not believe all the small home brew places! And totally friendly people. I should go back for a visit sometime. It was the first time I witnessed snowplows on the front of trash trucks. that was funny.
I'm moving right along on the WF. I'm now working on the cockpit design and finishing up the tank well. I needed to cut the tank well in 2 pieces to get it into the hull. No problems as I will be adding a center stringer to assist with weight distribution.
I'm very aware about safety issues on the water. I'll be addressing the scuppers soon and have decided to keep the tank well always open to drain. But in the past I had a roto molded SOT that I used scupper plugs to stop water intrusion.I've devised a plan for the cockpit scuppers that will allow me to adjust the flow. Also adding a support under the fwd deck to assist with curving said deck.
I like the idea of quarter round to support opposing surfaces, while brainstorming I came up wit a light weight substitution. 3 layers of 4 oz. cloth molded in a 90 with a small fillet of micro balloons . lotta time on my side. lol.
later.
Tim
Wadefish 2.0
Chesapeake 14
Chesapeake 17LT
Night Heron S&G
Shearwater 14 LV
PAX 20